R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGAWR exceeded?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: GAWR exceeded?
    Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 3:15pm
While trying to identify the axle I have for my 2016 Rpod, I took a picture of the axle identification sticker.
While going over it I noticed that the GAWR (gross axle weight rating) is only 3000lbs.
So how is it that my RP171 at a GVWR at 3208 works with a 3000 axle?

Have A Blessed Day
Pod 171
Ram Hemi tow truck. Got rid of the Jeep Wrangler. It was puny and girly
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 3:31pm
Jim,
Deduct for the tongue weight, should be around 300lbs, but weigh it yourself  to be accurate.
cheers, John 
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 4:15pm
+1.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 4:14pm
Please distinguish between GAWR and GVWR; way different.  I guess you're discussing the r-pod axle, but i'm concerned about your tow vehicle.

GAWR is sort of a vertical weight limit on an axle.  The total weight of your r-pod is carried vertically by the r-pod wheels and the hitch of the vehicle.  The total weight of your Jeep and its contents, plus the tongue weight of a towed vehicle, is supported by the four wheels/ two axles of the Jeep.  Tongue weight is typically 10% to 15% of the loaded weight of the trailer, if cargo and structure are distributed in a balanced fashion.  Putting extra batteries, LP tanks and generators on the front A-frame will increase tongue weight; filling water tanks aft of the r-pod axle will decrease tongue weight.  Downward force on the tow vehicle axles should not exceed the GAWR for each; weight distributing hitches help "push" rear axle weight onto the front axle to help balance.

GVWR is a rating that might be thought of more like "pull weight."  What matters here is if your tow vehicle is rated to pull that much.  Sure, vertical weight figures into this, too, because suspension/ engine power/ body construction all contribute to the GVWR.  

Looking at the Trailer Life towing guides for the 2017 model year, all Wranglers are rated to tow only 2000 pounds.  That's GVWR.  I recommend you check the Jeep's GVWR, because if it is only 2000 pounds, you are severely exceeding its limits towing the r-pod.
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 4:39pm
Q37 retired- The GVWR is the maximum permissible weight of the unit when fully loaded. All weights, all fluids, cargo, options and accessories, it is a DO NOT exceed value for the travel trailer.

The GAWR is an axle weight number. It is the maximum permissible weight, with all factors, that can safely be supported by the axle combination.

The tow vehicle is not included in the calculation. These numbers are pertinent to show the owner that a vehicle with a bumper hitch and a 1K capacity is not suitable to tow this TT.

I agree with what you are saying, if I happen to have a vehicle rated less than 3500 I would not be towing with it. That is the GVWR on most Pods. My point is the TV has to match the TT.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
jimqbaum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 6:52pm
Thank you for your concern about GVWR.

That's a number that I was looking for when I bought my Jeep Wrangler Sport.
I made sure it had the towing package which brings is up to a 3500 Lb capable (barley) vehicle.
This was accomplished from the manufacture by gear ratio, sway bar suspension and transmission cooler added as part of the "package".
The Jeep won't hardly pull a sitting hen off a nest Big smile, but she wanted a fun vehicle for in the mountains.
This whole endeavor was part of an experiment anyway. Needed to see if the wife and I could live together in a small space without killing each other before we sprung for different TV and the Airstream.

Have A Blessed Day
Pod 171
Ram Hemi tow truck. Got rid of the Jeep Wrangler. It was puny and girly
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 8:27pm
Mike, you're right, of course, that the trailer has a max weight rating, and that is the GVWR.  My focus was on the tow vehicle, which has to be rated to pull that much weight, i.e., the tow vehicle must be rated to pull at least the trailer GVWR.  I conflated some of the vocabulary, and i'll be more careful next time so my words don't confuse.
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
 Post Reply Post Reply