R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRefrigerator icing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrigerator icing
    Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 11:12pm

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 11:23pm
We are traveling and are having some refrigerator difficulties.
Our refrigerator is icing up inside onthe right side of the interior fins. Approximately half of the interior fins are icing.  The refrigerator and freezer seem to be working ok, but now the temps are rising in the fridge-the freezer seems to be working fine.  We have tried to chip away as much of the ice as possible.  The thermister has been moved around during our travels and is currently about one half inch from the top of the second fin from the left.
Where we have been, the outside temperatures have ranged from 80-100 daytime and 60-65 at night. We are operating on propane all the time and I have cleaned the burner several times.  I think we have a good, solid blue flame. 
I know the fridge is not good for more than about 40-45 degrees below outside temps, but we haven't had this icing issue previously.
We would appreciate any advice.
Thanks
Vann

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 7:04am
Make sure the door is sealing good. In general, that kind of icing is driven by humidity and an air leak.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 8:28am
Also, installing a fan on the inside may help by circulating the air. You can use one of the free-standing ones or one that clips to the fins. I have one mounted in the center. This is the one I have. I tried this one, but did not think it did an adequate job as it did not seem to have enough force to effectively move air.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 3:49pm
Vann, you and Laura are experienced campers, so no teaching here.  

On my June trip to PA and NY, I had the same problem, but never before.  I believe it was humidity getting in when I frequently opened the door.  I always carry a cooler, so was able to defrost.  I'm afraid to chip away ice, except perhaps very gingerly, as the aluminum fins are quite fragile.  Going to Franklin for the meteor shower in a couple of weeks, so will report if something happens differently.
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 12:00am
Thanks for the replies.
We are using an internal battery powered fan to circulate the interior air. I also have installed 2  12 volt computer fans that run all the time on the exterior.
I am a little dubious about moisture being the issue since we are in Idaho, Oregon and Washington where the outside temps are very high (over 100 every day)and humidity is almost non-existent.
I have taken apart the burner several times and cleaned it thoroughly.  We left home on July 15, so have only been out for 2 weeks so far.  We still have 2,5 months left on our trip, so am really hoping to find a solution. The refer is not holding temps very well overall.

Incidently, we toured the Forest River factory today in Dallas. Oregon. Unfortunately, they were making Surveyors and not R Pods. But still a very nice and informative tour. Having a residential construction background, I was very impressed with their systems and attention to detail.

We have one of the earlier R Pod. 173 with white cabinets and woodwork- the factory was impressed that we were still using our pod. It is a 2009 model and we guestimated that we have about 35,000 miles on it during our ownership( we are second owners after a very lightly used first owner).

We love our highly modified 173, but we are suffering badly from 179 envy!!
Travel safe
Vann

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 7:31pm
Hi Vann

We have seen this problem caused by 2 different means.  The first we have seen in other units and caused by what furpod addressed above.  The second is one we experienced twice ourselves and was caused by my DW packing the fridge so tight with food, I don't think there was a square cm of wasted space, that the air was unable to circulate.  As we used some food up and air space became more available, the problem ceased.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 12:03am
The Dometic service manual says to use a dollar bill to check the seal around door (I think a $100 bill will work also).  Shut the door on it and make sure there is resistance to pulling it out on all four sides of the refer.  Frost can only be caused by one thing... humidity.  You can't have frost without it.  It may be dry outside, but unless you have the windows open, the inside of RVs get humid just from our bodies respirating, cooking, showers, etc.  Opening the door either has to be letting in humidity or else you have something in the refer that is not sealed and is moist.  You GOTTA have humidity from some place.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
 Post Reply Post Reply