R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack tank flush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black tank flush
    Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 9:48am
I have a 2014 R-Pod 179.  Last night I dumped my black tank.  After it drained, I hooked a hose up to the black tank flush attachment and turn on the water.  I kept the drain tank hose hooked up and my valve open.  I have a clear elbow on my drain hose and noticed that water really wasn't draining while running the flush.  Just a week ago I did the same process and there was a significant amount of water that drained from the flush process.  Is there a chance that something is plugged or not working properly?  

When the flush process was running, I walked into my camper and noticed a strange "humming" noise in the bathroom area.  

I'm thinking of adding a bunch of water to the black tank and try draining it again to make sure nothing is plugged.  My indicator light shows that the tank is empty.

Any thoughts or ideas?  Thanks.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 3:20pm
It should drain as you fill with the backflush. If not, I agree first step is to fill black tank and drain again with backflush attached. Lets see what you see with clear elbow. The black tank can collect blockages. Especially if you are not using any chemical additives to assist in breakdown of waste. From your post I am thinking you have verified your backflush worked at one time.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 3:23pm
Fill black tank full with water.  I put hose right thru toilet valve as flush connection takes too long.  watch down the toilet to see when you have reached full.  Drain and repeat.  I can dump in my field, so I put 1/2 tank full of water in, with a bag of ice,  drive it down the country roads, swerving back and forth and a little hard brake.  This cleans the tank out very well.  Flush that and repeat.  I will say this,  when you think. your tank is fully drained, it is not.  There is still several gallons in your tank that did not flush out,  After I empty my black tank, I drive around the field, while swerving a bit and you would be surprised at how much comes out, after I have let is gravity drain fully.

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 5:23pm
Hey Bubba!?! Who's that guy driving his trailer around like a crazy person out in the south 40?!?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 9:27pm
Hey flat6s, I hope you're not growing cantaloupes or spinach in your field.  Does your neighbor onto whose property your field drains know of your field dumping?  Their lettuce crop may not turn out so tasty.  Your field doesn't drain into Wildcat creek and thence to the Wabash river does it?  I guess a little E. Coli never bothered the folks in Lafayette.  After all, beggars and lords the streets of London during medieval times didn't mind the dumping in their streets, as long as you avoided a direct hit.  It just toughened them up, .... if they didn't die from cholera.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 10:05am
Hi ya all!
I just knew my post was going to get comments.  Listen,  I always dump the load at the last Camoground we stay in and do a full rinse there as well.  So what I am dumping in my field is rinse water with no solids.  Understand there are close to fifty head of cattle in that field.  Also, within three miles there are twenty three confined hog barns with almost five thousand piglets in each barn, producing one hundred and fifty thousand gallons of waste per year per barn.  All of this waste routinely is spread on the open fields.  Now my county has signed a contract to allow Lafayette indiana waste water plant to apply their treated waste on our fields as fertilizer.  That amounts to millions of gallons of waste.  Hard to think my twenty gallons of water will have an effect on anything...just sayin
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 12:05pm
Somewhere I read a post on this subject. Someone put a whole bottle of Dawn down in the tank and drove around. Next thing they noticed was the HP car with lights and windshield wipers on. Apparently the Dawn had foamed and was coming out the roof vent pipe and blowing all over the road behind.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 12:36pm
Yes, live hog barn waste has become a very serious contamination issue and is spreading disease, not to mention causing algae blooms and oxygen depletion, in rivers and lakes all around the mid-west and south.  Bovine waste is not as complicated since they are herbivores, but in high concentrations, it can also cause serious contamination problems.  As for treated waste water from a sewage treatment plant, you can be pretty sure that the solid waste has been removed and the that water has been treated for infectious bacteria.  Indeed, properly treated effluent can yield perfectly safe drinking water.   ... once you get over the eeeuuuwww and ick factor.

But you're right, the little bit of solid waste and the bacteria that is broken loose with the ice is probably a drop in the bucket when you consider all the other stuff you mentioned.  I don't think I'll go fishing or swimming around Lafayette, IN.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 3:15pm
If you have Netflix, you should check out "SH*t Happens" (Season 1, Episode 3) from Doc Martin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doc_Martin_episodes#Series_1_.282004.29). Indeed it does.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 9:10pm
LOL, I love John-in-idaho's post... I can just see the foam blowing out the top of the TT as the driver calmly heads down the highway oblivious to what's going on behnd him!
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>