R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPossible Overfill of FW Tank?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible Overfill of FW Tank?
    Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 7:16pm
Another idiot newbie question... is it possible to overfill the freshwater tank?  I checked this site's archives and found answers all over the place.  From, "no harm, no foul" to "my tank dropped to the ground"!  All of these where older threads, so maybe things have changed in tank design.  Some of the trailers were older, as well, and not all were R-Pods.

Common sense might dictate that the manufacturers wouldn't design a suspension system incapable of handling the weight of a filled-to-the-filler-neck tank... would they?  My 180 is barely a week old and I neglected to see what the tank looked like empty, so I don't know if the bulging bottom is the normal shape of the tank or that it's designed to give when full or the first time I hit a speed bump my tank will hit the ground.  I'm prepared to dump gallons before leaving home, but would hate to as I'll be boondocking and needing every gallon.

Thanks in advance!
2017 180
2010 GMC 1500 Hybrid
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 7:43pm
nope, it has an overflow.and the bottom is not flat, is bowed, so the water runs to the pickup when it gets low. However, towing with water in the tank is RARELY a good idea.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 8:32pm
Our 177 was purchased in January 2011 and we almost always carry a full 30 gallons with us, since we boondock a lot.  As Mark stated above, the tank indeed has an overflow (you cannot overfill) and the bottom is not flat.  We have over 26,000 miles on our pod and probably half of those miles traveled were with our water tank 1/2 to full.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by furpod

nope, it has an overflow.

What does that mean?  "it has an overflow"?  It sounds like you're saying there is some sort of device that prevents overfilling. When I fill my tank I stick a hose in it and let it go until water is running out the fill-opening on the ground. 

I wouldn't say a bucket has an overflow.  I'd say I fill t until it overflows.  I don't mean to be coming across as picky, though I fear I am.  I really wonder if there something I don't know about.

Anyway, no, there is no reason to be afraid of overfilling the tank. As far as know it's not possible.  I agree, towing with a full tank isn't the best idea.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
wthoms2000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 12:40am
So.... Quick question: Dry camp without a full FW tank, you really are dry camping?

Being an engineer, makes absolutely no sense to design something that is not capable of sustaining travel when full..

Enjoy!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 4:05am
It can travel full. Depending on where you are going it often makes sense to fill up at or near your destination rather than lug all that weigbt around.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
4Papa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 7:09am
Thanks all. Confirmed my suspicions. Still, that bulge only inches above the ground gets your attention. It appears to hang about as low as the black tank hose tube.  Will do this only if/when destination water availability is suspect. 
2017 180
2010 GMC 1500 Hybrid
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Originally posted by furpod

nope, it has an overflow.

What does that mean?  "it has an overflow"?  It sounds like you're saying there is some sort of device that prevents overfilling. When I fill my tank I stick a hose in it and let it go until water is running out the fill-opening on the ground. 

I wouldn't say a bucket has an overflow.  I'd say I fill t until it overflows.  I don't mean to be coming across as picky, though I fear I am.  I really wonder if there something I don't know about.

Anyway, no, there is no reason to be afraid of overfilling the tank. As far as know it's not possible.  I agree, towing with a full tank isn't the best idea.

TT

If you look at the fill point, see that little screen at the top, above where the hose goes? If you block up or somehow prevent water from coming back out the regular fill inlet, it WILL overflow out of that vent/screen.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 8:04am
Originally posted by wthoms2000

So.... Quick question: Dry camp without a full FW tank, you really are dry camping?

Being an engineer, makes absolutely no sense to design something that is not capable of sustaining travel when full..

Enjoy!

"Dry Camping" in today's lexicon, means no hookups. It means you are self supporting, using only the on board systems. Battery, water tanks, cook top or stove, etc .
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 4:36pm
+1 to Furpod, when my water pump check valve failed and the city water was filling my FW tank, the water came out that vent screen. That's how I discovered the FW tank was full.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>