R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPositive ground?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Positive ground?
    Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 4:41pm
Familiar with that from being an old tractor guy, but I think someone messed this up badly. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some other stuff effected.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 11:16am
I did some research and it seems that reverse polarity batteries are easy to find in deep cycle marine batteries.  I wrote to the company that sold them and they said they were for applications where the battery would only fit in a certain way.  I think there is some other reason for it because batteries are the same dimension regardless which way you insert it in the battery box and if the cables don't reach you can get longer cables.  I see no reason for a reverse polarity battery and a google search only turns up items about people that charged their batteries backward.  There has to be a reason for it but the vendors of the batteries excuse makes no sense.  It's one of those imponderables in life I guess.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 11:46am
Actually, Black Hot, White Neutral or GND is normal. All the red/black/blue etc etc is just user preference.

Go open any piece of 2/1 Romex. Black, White, Bare or Green.

There are some "standards" for colored wires, mostly on multi-pin connections, like your 7 pin.

While there are still a few positive ground systems in the world, unless you own a vintage British car or motorcycle, and a couple BMW motorcycles, also vintage, you are VERY unlikely to have to deal with it. As long as cable "X" goes from the + on the battery to the "POS" clamp on the 12v distribution panel and Cable "Y" goes to the "NEG" clamp. It's all fine.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 11:53am
Originally posted by furpod

Actually, Black Hot, White Neutral or GND is normal. All the red/black/blue etc etc is just user preference.

Go open any piece of 2/1 Romex. Black, White, Bare or Green.

There are some "standards" for colored wires, mostly on multi-pin connections, like your 7 pin.

While there are still a few positive ground systems in the world, unless you own a vintage British car or motorcycle, and a couple BMW motorcycles, also vintage, you are VERY unlikely to have to deal with it. As long as cable "X" goes from the + on the battery to the "POS" clamp on the 12v distribution panel and Cable "Y" goes to the "NEG" clamp. It's all fine.
I think the black/white/green is standard for AC circuits with 10/2 or other gauge romex. Other colors come into play with wires having more than one phase.

Red/black is common in DC circuits. However, conventions vary according to the "vintage" of the builder. I subscribe to red always being positive. In some telecom installations, they will use red to designate the "hot", because telecom installations are "usually" positive ground.

If you're working on a system you're not familiar with it's best to get out your DVM or other test equipment to see what the convention was.

OTOH, if you're working on our house, you check everything because the previous owner used whatever color was convenient; convention be damned. Star
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 11:54am
In the world of DC that I grew up in, red was always positive and black was always negative.  Now they are starting to use black and white like it was AC.  That's what confuses a lot of older guys.  For instance, the 12 volt DC wires on the LED lights in the Pod are black and white... that's not conventional for DC, that's conventional for AC.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 12:11pm
I will bow to your "older guy" wisdom, having only been retired 20 years, I am still a youngster.. But, anyways.. having worked on a BUNCH of pods over the years, and a couple Airstreams, and now a Lance, they were all wired Black and White from the batteries. Maybe because on a TT you have both 120v and 12v, so they follow the 120v convention, I don't know.. but I fully agree that a DVM is a MUST have...

But also, having been to the Pod birthing grounds a few times.. I know that "Bob" uses "what is at hand" for a lot of things.. LOL So seeing a different or odd color wouldn't surprise me much.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by furpod

But also, having been to the Pod birthing grounds a few times.. I know that "Bob" uses "what is at hand" for a lot of things.. LOL So seeing a different or odd color wouldn't surprise me much.
Bob must have known "Tony" who did a large percentage of our current abode in the DIY tradition. It was amazing that most of it worked. But along the way, a lot of surprises were encountered. After living here for 21+ years, I think I have cleaned out almost all of the surprises. None-the-less I am very, very cautious whenever I open up something that I haven't looked inside before.
bp
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 6:17pm
I get the idea of the polarity of a normal battery being reversed.  As Mike said, it's very rare and pretty much requires someone isn't paying attention.  The positive terminal becomes negative and the negative terminal becomes positive.  I don't understand how in the world anyone could even make a reverse polarity battery for sale though.  Unless that means having the + on the right front instead of the left front so the cables will reach the appropriate terminal.  (Why not just turn the battery around?)  On these alleged reverse polarity batteried the positive terminal is positive and the negative terminal is negative.  Right?

I used to have an old John Deere tractor that had a positive ground.  You just had to connect the positive cable to the block and the negative cable wherever it was supposed to go (voltage regulator?).  You didn't need some kind of special reverse polarity battery.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

I get the idea of the polarity of a normal battery being reversed.  As Mike said, it's very rare and pretty much requires someone not paying attention.  The positive terminal becomes negative and the negative terminal becomes positive.  I don't understand how in the world anyone could even make a reverse polarity battery for sale though.  Unless that means having the + on the right front instead of the left front so the cables will reach the appropriate terminal.  (Why not just turn the battery around?)  On these alleged reverse polarity batteried the positive terminal is positive and the negative terminal is negative.  Right?

I used to have an old John Deere tractor that had a positive ground.  You just had to connect the positive cable to the block and the negative cable wherever it was supposed to go (voltage regulator?).  You didn't need some kind of special reverse polarity battery.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 1:33am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

TT
It's just where they ran the wires. On our tractor the wires won't reach if I use a "normal" polarity battery. So I use the -R equivalent.
bp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>