R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConverter Failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converter Failure
    Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 8:02pm
Looks like we had a converter failure as well on our "new" pod.  Was on a trip and battery dropped to one light while connected to ac power.  Ran out to Sears and bought a multimeter and battery charger.  Battery was at 11.5 volt.  Called dealer and asked if we could charge battery while connected.  He said yes.  We did not want to disconnect battery as that would have turned off refrigerator (even on shore power or propane it needs 12v to run).  Plugged in charger and got 13.5 reading.  Had all five lights while charging and next morning disconnected charger and battery read 12.8v.  So we were all set.  Two days later it went back down to 2 lights so we again charged the battery.  We did this throughout the trip and it saved us from having to cancel and return home.  Will have to bring it back to dealer at some point (they are 100 miles away).  Does anyone know if the emergency road side assistance that is included the first year would come and replace a converter?
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
crazycoyote View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 10:14pm
I had the same problem on my "new" RP 180 this summer in June. My wife turned on the convection oven for the first time we had bought it. Was in a campground with a full hookup. Battery charging, everything working ,but as soon she started the oven I heard a big power snap and checked out the power panel, and the converter breaker was off, SO I turned it back on , checked the 12 volt, shot, no charge to the batteries. Left the breaker off the rest of the summer trip, till I got home (solar) kept me charged. Bought a 55 amp after market converter ,installed it. Problem Solved. 
ChetC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 9:54pm
It's been a while since I've been on here and I just saw this post.  I too had issues with the converter in my 180 and I had a theory which i posted about here:

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8847&KW=converter&title=theory-on-failed-power-converters-possible-fix

As an update; I've been trouble free ever since this post, which was roughly 25,000 miles ago.
Former 2017 rPod 180 owner
Now in a 2019 Little Guy MAX
Full timer who logs more than 35,000 miles per year.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 8:37am
Originally posted by ChetC

As an update; I've been trouble free ever since this post, which was roughly 25,000 miles ago.

Considering the history and reputation on WFCO convertors I suspect you success is primarily due to the change to PD. Good units.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 9:23am
Originally posted by CharlieM

Originally posted by ChetC

Considering the history and reputation on WFCO convertors I suspect you success is primarily due to the change to PD. Good units.

While I certainly wouldn't argue that WFCO had a bad run last year, and R=Pods seem to have gotten a large chunk of that run.. The WFCO is mounted in hundreds of thousands of campers out there.. MOST owners never have a problem. R-pod or otherwise.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12