R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOutdoor Stove for Garage Models

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outdoor Stove for Garage Models
    Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 5:47pm
Hi all. I have a 2015 182G and would like to connect my Colman propane stove to the Pod Garage gas line. My pod came with a grill that connects via a quick connect fitting at the back of the pod. Has anyone purchased a hose that can simply connect a Coleman stove directly to the quick connect? My second question is whether there is a better stove out there that has the correct hose/fittings to connect to the pod's quick connect?
mario View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 7:21pm
Does anyone use an outdoor stove connected to the quick connect?
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 8:42pm
Others with more detailed info will chime in here, but as I understand it, you cannot use a stove that requires its own regulator (the typical Coleman camp stove, for example) on the quick connect most of us have near the back outside of our trailers.

There are a few free standing two burner camp stoves that work with the quick connect fitting, but I've found that they are HUGE burners better suited to making 10 gallons of chili for a tailgater then for simmering a small sauce pan.

I know there is a YouTube video out there that shows how to modify certain stoves to work with your disconnect. 

Personally I am baffled as to why stove manufacturers have not caught onto this market. I prefer to cook outside whenever possible to avoid the odors and mess. And I'm frustrated that I have to either use the small green throw away bottles or split off my tank pre-regulator. The darn thing is right there just waiting to be used!
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 8:35am
Lots of owners have done the mod needed to attach a high pressure stove to the low pressure line. YouTube has several walk thrus and parts lists. It's not a complicated process.
mario View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 11:13am
What I am baffled about is why ForestRiver has not engineered the propane system to easily allow high pressure outdoor stoves to be used. And how is an outdoor stove different than the indoor stove? Don't they run on the same pressure? ..... or is the outdoor quick connect low pressure in order to run a grill?

One of the major reasons I purchased this RV was to have the outdoor kitchen. Now I realize that I have to drag out another propane tank to run the stove. WTF?? This is major manufacturing shortfall IMHO. After all, most kitchens have stoves...or so I've been told. 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by mario

What I am baffled about is why ForestRiver has not engineered the propane system to easily allow high pressure outdoor stoves to be used. And how is an outdoor stove different than the indoor stove? Don't they run on the same pressure? ..... or is the outdoor quick connect low pressure in order to run a grill?

One of the major reasons I purchased this RV was to have the outdoor kitchen. Now I realize that I have to drag out another propane tank to run the stove. WTF?? This is major manufacturing shortfall IMHO. After all, most kitchens have stoves...or so I've been told. 

EVERYTHING in the pod, and any other camper, or any other propane appliance anywhere for that matter, runs on low pressure. So does the grill you want to use. Almost nothing runs at "tank pressure". The difference is, the device you want to use..ie: a "high pressure" device, has a built in regulator. Because it is built to run on small, full pressure disposable cylinders. That's the part you change to make it a "low pressure" device. You can not run pressure regulators in series.

You mentioned you wanted to use the low pressure port at the garage. The only way to do that is with a "low pressure" stove.

Now if you just want to hook that grill up to your pod propane tank, you CAN purchase, just about anywhere, a splitter that adds a second high pressure connection, at the propane tank, BEFORE the pods pressure regulator. THEN you buy a hose with the proper fittings at both ends. Almost every wal-mart, lowes, home depot, camping world, etc carry what you need to do that.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 11:33am
1st, a video from our own Travis Mattingly, a rear garage R-Pod owner..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a_-5ysjTiU&t=302s

Other videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq9yZ6y-H2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQjjCwknAik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih0TJLQJ8gU&t=219s

and here is a video or two about adding/using a stay a while T fitting, on the high pressure side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbp4LiOjXbI&t=205s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiM9LRILK7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXW_tCJ0-3Y

mario View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 12:29pm
Thanks for clarifying that everything in the pod runs on low pressure. The Coleman stove has a regulator on it so I assume that it also runs on low pressure. So if I remove the regulator and attach the stove directly to the pod's quick connect will I have the proper pressure for the stove?

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 12:30pm

Thanks for clarifying that everything in the pod runs on low pressure. The Coleman stove has a regulator on it so I assume that it also runs on low pressure. So if I remove the regulator and attach the stove directly to the pod's quick connect will I have the proper pressure for the stove?

Yes.
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by furpod

Yes.

I get WHY we need to modify the regulated stove to get it to work (won't work with two regulators). And I get HOW to modify it (per YouTube video). But I still maintain that we shouldn't have to modify commonly used campstoves in order to get them to work with the commonly installed quick connect. I, personally, would be happy to purchase a lightweight 2 or 3 burner TABLETOP stove without a regulator, and I can't be the only one. So far, I haven't found one.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>