R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOutdoor Stove for Garage Models

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mario View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outdoor Stove for Garage Models
    Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by GLBCamper

Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by mario

Thanks for clarifying that everything in the pod runs on low pressure. The Coleman stove has a regulator on it so I assume that it also runs on low pressure. So if I remove the regulator and attach the stove directly to the pod's quick connect will I have the proper pressure for the stove?

Yes.

I get WHY we need to modify the regulated stove to get it to work (won't work with two regulators). And I get HOW to modify it (per YouTube video). But I still maintain that we shouldn't have to modify commonly used campstoves in order to get them to work with the commonly installed quick connect. I, personally, would be happy to purchase a lightweight 2 or 3 burner TABLETOP stove without a regulator, and I can't be the only one. So far, I haven't found one.
Yes, and some things are easier to adapt than others. The unique Coleman fitting is a major pain. Frankly, no one I've talked to knows how. That includes RV dealers and propane shops that specialize in custom work. So it's a new (and better) stove for me. All I need is to make a new hose using standard fittings. 
Image result for Camp Chef Explorer 2

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 6:27pm

Thanks for all the good advice. I am getting a education in all this and I think I am getting a handle on it. I too find it ridiculous that it takes so much work to modify camp stoves to work with the RV propane quick connect. I have looked at all the on-line videos and have not seen one where a Coleman two burner stove (not the grill) has been modified for such use. The problem with the Coleman stove is connecting to the very small and finely-threaded brass fitting that fits into the stove. None of the RV shops, propane stores, or box stores have the right fitting. And have not even be able to find an adapter on-line. The best option for me at this point is to punt on using my Coleman stove and purchase another stove/burner that can be easily attached to the quick connect. Am looking at the Camp Chef Explorer 2 and other similar stoves. Notice to Coleman: I will think twice before buying one of your products in the future. 

Just out of curiosity, did you watch any of the you tube videos? I think all of them are working on Coleman equipment, AND I know for sure they show what and where to buy what's needed. I don't know for sure, because my Coleman gear is all white gas, the way the good Lord intended, but I see no reason for them to be using different threads and regulators one one versus the other..
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 5:53pm
There are adapters for almost anything you want to do.

Our house uses propane, and everything in it runs on 11" water column (AKA low pressure). There is a high-low regulator just outside the house. In our locality it is illegal to run high pressure once you penetrate the outside wall.

The key is to know what pressure is needed and where.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mario View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by GLBCamper

Thanks for clarifying that everything in the pod runs on low pressure. The Coleman stove has a regulator on it so I assume that it also runs on low pressure. So if I remove the regulator and attach the stove directly to the pod's quick connect will I have the proper pressure for the stove?

Yes.

I get WHY we need to modify the regulated stove to get it to work (won't work with two regulators). And I get HOW to modify it (per YouTube video). But I still maintain that we shouldn't have to modify commonly used campstoves in order to get them to work with the commonly installed quick connect. I, personally, would be happy to purchase a lightweight 2 or 3 burner TABLETOP stove without a regulator, and I can't be the only one. So far, I haven't found one.

Thanks for all the good advice. I am getting a education in all this and I think I am getting a handle on it. I too find it ridiculous that it takes so much work to modify camp stoves to work with the RV propane quick connect. I have looked at all the on-line videos and have not seen one where a Coleman two burner stove (not the grill) has been modified for such use. The problem with the Coleman stove is connecting to the very small and finely-threaded brass fitting that fits into the stove. None of the RV shops, propane stores, or box stores have the right fitting. And have not even be able to find an adapter on-line. The best option for me at this point is to punt on using my Coleman stove and purchase another stove/burner that can be easily attached to the quick connect. Am looking at the Camp Chef Explorer 2 and other similar stoves. Notice to Coleman: I will think twice before buying one of your products in the future. 
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 3:55pm
 We have a conventional Coleman stove that is useful for outside cooking as well.  We use it for tailgating at Road America also along with a gas grill that runs on the green tanks.  I have not graduated to refilling them yet so they get recycled.  We don't have a garage model, so the stove sits on the picnic table or a portable table.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Our pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 2:44pm
We mostly boondocks, and prefer not to cook inside other than boiling water. We also do not like having to cook within whatever radius of fuel hose. I refill the one pound green bottles for one season then recycle them. That's what works for us.
Life is good.
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 2:44pm

Coleman probably sells 250 grills to people with out low pressure available, for every one they sell to people who do.. so their main market, isn't us..

What?!? You mean to tell me the world doesn't revolve around pod people?? LOL
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 2:34pm
Well.. just like a home, if high pressure routing of the lines was done, then you would need a separate regulator at every device.. that's a lot of expensive high pressure line, and 5 or so regulators, rather then less expensive and less dangerous low pressure lines and 1 regulator.

BTW, you CAN buy grills and such that ARE low pressure already, after all, one comes with the garage models when new. Coleman probably sells 250 grills to people with out low pressure available, for every one they sell to people who do.. so their main market, isn't us..
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 2:24pm

Yes.

Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 12:30pm

Yes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>