R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone towing with a Grand Cherokee?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone towing with a Grand Cherokee?
    Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 8:02am
I know there is a separate thread for towing but I am specifically interested in towing with the Jeep Grand Cherokee and haven't found much hard data.  

Specifically... 

1.  What are you towing?

2.  What fuel economy are you getting at 65MPH and / or 70MPH?

3.  What RPM do you see at (say) 65MPH straight and level?

4.  Any issues with hills?  Mountains??

5.  Any serious issues with the vehicle in general?  This is where I am in uncharted territory.  My last Chrysler vehicle was a 1984 Plymouth Horizon (which I liked, BTW) ;)  

I'm currently towing with a 2011 Toyota Highlander (with tow prep) and getting between 12MPG (headwind) and 15MPG (tailwind) at around 65MPH.  Most of the time straight and level and no wind, the overdrive is engaged and I'm at about 2100-2200RPM.  I'm happy with the Highlander and have owned it since new but am thinking of changing vehicles "just because" ;)  I had never considered the Grand Cherokee thinking it was too expensive and too small but I seem to have been wrong on both counts.... at least here in SE Michigan (within sight of the Chrysler Tech Center), they are plentiful and quite a bit less expensive than the Highlander.  They have the same interior cargo length as the Highlander with a slightly lower max height.  And if Edmunds is to be believed, about half the depreciation per year vs. the Highlander (that was a big surprise).  But the depreciation figure given for the Highlander pretty closely matches my experience based on what I have been offered as a trade-in, so.....

Paul
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 8:13am
I had one with a tow package and a v8 engine. I don't know if smaller engines are available.

Ours was a beautiful TV with a 171, and addtionally good enough off-road to get me into trouble because I was not as capable as the Jeep. 

MPG or speeds? When towing I don't expect good numbers for these, anyway. Now I have a cherokee trail hawk. Love it, too.
fonseca179 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 8:17am
I tow with a 2015 Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel.  It tows our 179 effortlessly even in the mountains.  I average around 20 mpg when towing.  
pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 8:23am
Originally posted by fonseca179

I tow with a 2015 Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel.  It tows our 179 effortlessly even in the mountains.  I average around 20 mpg when towing.  
Wow, that is impressive fuel economy.  Only problem with the ecodiesel is that I have never seen one at a dealership ;)  

How much noisier is it than a gasoline engine?  Would you be embarrassed to start it up at 6AM in a crowded campground?  ;)  Any diesel specific issues to be aware of?  I've never owned a diesel.  

Paul
jalong View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 12:21pm
I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the tow package & V6, the first year of the 8 speed transmission. R-Pod is a 179 with an E2 weight/sway hitch. I don't use the economy mode of the transmission when towing, The most comfortable towing speed is under 65 mph. Gas mileage is about 15 mpg. No issues towing.
John & Sue
2016 179 - built in April 2015
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L 13-16mpg with 179 - 21-28mpg without
pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 12:28pm
Thanks for the answers so far.  Looks like the GC is a contender for me.  I also did some research and figured out why I have not seen one and why the diesel engine does not seem to be offered.  Looks like Jeep had / has similar diesel engine control software issues to Volkswagen ;)  

Paul
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 3:25pm
We tow with a Jeep Cherokee that has a 4500 lb towing capacity and it tows great.  We no longer avoid hills as we have plenty of power.  On smooth highways we actually have  cruised at 68 mph and pass slow car/trucks.  Gas mileage drops from 22 to 16 so not bad.  Plus the Jeep is great for off road.  This has been our first Jeep and we love it.  When we graduate to a bigger RV (we love our 180 but will need something larger for those two month cross country trips) we will will get the Grand Cherokee with 7200 lb towing capacity
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 9:21pm

A Jeep GC with 3.6L would tow OK. The diesel would be great. Look at the torque numbers for the engines if you want to compare. When towing, torque wins.

The Jeep GC 3.0 diesel is held up at the moment by the EPA. They are under close scrutiny for "undeclared devices". No one knows what these are yet. But while that is going on in board rooms, Chrysler stopped the sale of them.  After Volkswagen got dinged, all diesel makers are under observation.

My 2013 VW Touareg TDI is one of the affected vehicles. It is not on the buyback list though. 2013-2016 years will supposedly be given a "fix". Owners will not know until November what that will entail and if the judge overseeing the case will approve.

And also, IF there is a declared accepted repair available, it won't get applied any sooner than August 2018. At that time, each current owner will receive $7000+ and up depending on the trim level from Volkswagen after their vehicle have the fix applied. Also Bosch (makers of the software and hardware for the ECU)will have to pay $1500 to each affected owner. The current emissions warranty was extended to 120K on all affected vehicles. The repair is NOT allowed to lower fuel economy more than 5%, and engine power by more than 5% also. Owners are hopeful neither is the case.

Volkswagen has also stopped importing TDI vehicles into North America. It's over for VW diesels here.
I can only hope that one of the big 3 will somehow come up with a diesel powered SUV in the future. They make great all-around daily drivers and tow vehicles. I won't ever get rid of the Touareg unless something catastrophic happens to the powertrain (after 10yr/100K is up).

2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
freelance steve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 9:21pm
If you are at the Jeep dealer take a look at the Dodge Durango. May be the same V8, pulls great with a longer wheelbase so the trailer (a 179) doesn't toss the vehicle around as much as a shorter wheelbase. More interior space too.  Just a thought....
Freelance Steve
pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 10:27pm
Well, in the end I went with a new 2017 Highlander and while I also liked the Grand Cherokee, the Highlander has a much nicer ride for the 80% of the time when I'm not towing and will tow 5000 pounds.  So no upgrade in tow rating but a big upgrade in creature comforts vs. my 2011 (which was still a really nice car for the 6 years I owned it).    

Now I just have to install the hitch and wiring and I'm all set again.  

Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply