Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSILVERADO AC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: SILVERADO AC
    Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 7:39am
my son is looking at a 1999 chevy silverado. its in pretty good shape, hasn't really been driven over the past year. always garaged and kept up well. the only thing we found wrong was the ac does not work, or I should say blows warm air. could be a wide range of things from basic freon to who knows, compressor maybe. obviously I know I need to bring it in somewhere, but just checking if anyone ever had similar problems with a similar truck that could maybe give me some leads. thanks for any info. hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 10:07am
That vehicle is 18 years old. All the AC hoses and seals would need to be looked at (and probably replaced). Plus the refrigerant is probably gone. 

Good time to look over all the rubber under the hood, not to mention the rubber on the road. Check the expiration date(s) on the tires.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 3:26pm
this vehicle was very well taken care of, it actually lived right across the street from me and I've known it since he bought it. tires are like brand new. very good thorough maintenance log; actually not really that much done except oil changes every 3500-4000 miles, and a few minor repairs. it was his pride and joy but he no longer is able to drive. just concerned about ac. obviously it can be fixed, but what it is and how much is the concern. hogone   
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 3:43pm
All rubber components degrade over time regardless of the gentleness of usage. Even if the miles are low on the tires, they will still degrade. For a primer on tire date codes look here: http://articles.extension.org/pages/73045/tire-safety:-expiration-dates

Likewise, all the hoses (water and AC) generally have an expected 6-year lifetime. A 1999 vehicle is 12 years past all the original equipment dates, and 6 years past the second replacement date of 2011.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 4:27pm
Hey Hogone,

I am a big fan of Silverado's, just sold a 93 that had 340K on it. The fact that it has been sitting a year, makes me think it has a slow Freon leak. Hoses and belts should be checked and replaced as appropriate. Take it to a certified AC repair center. They do not have to fill with Freon, they can pressure check AC with nitrogen. Big price difference. If it was me I would bypass pressure switch and see if compressor runs. If it does the Freon is low. Once pressurized they can check for leaks. Once leaks are fixed, they can fill with Freon. Relatively simple repair. Belts don't cause loss of Freon, hoses can but are easily detected. If compressor is bad, it won't ever come on. Just pick a good place to take it.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 6:35pm
mcarter:  thanks, heres more info.  has 121,000 miles only, it was babied. engine is clean and spotless. ill look at hoses/belts again but they looked pretty normal and some have been replaced for general maintenance.  one thing Ive never had to messed with is ac, so pretty green here.  know basic repair and i do alot myself. when we pulled up hood, compressor would come on for about 10 seconds, then off for say 5 then 10 ect. His log says freon put in 4 years ago.   not sure if that is useful info.  where is that pressure switch?  hogone   
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 7:00pm
Hogone,

Yeah it's low on Freon. 4 years is awhile, sounds great you have a log. All your symptoms are low pressure. What they do is start and stop. Near the accumulator is the switch, you can jumper it, but with low Freon you may or may not get cold AC. It can't run on low pressure. If I could look at it I could help. Sounds like a sweet deal. The low pressure switch is a two prong switch with a plug on it (a connector), it won't let the compressor come on with low pressure. I checked YouTube and they have some informative vids. A good AC dude will figure out in 5 mins, I could.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 8:16pm
I shouldn't say this but my '94 F-150 with 310K miles still has A/C that works, never had to add any R-12 to it . . . .yet.  I do have some sitting in the garage, just in case.  Have had 1 clutch job at 260 K miles, so that shouldn't be a problem for quite some time.  My only worry are when will the next deer jump in front of me (that would be # 32 kills).
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 9:28pm
Does the compressor clutch actually engage? Yes, then no refrigerant left in the system. NO, then the A/C clutch fuse and relay should be checked for correct operation.

A leak test can be performed using dye.  The use of an electronic refrigerant sniffer is very difficult in an automobile.

Proper vacuum evacuation of the system is critical and it should be blown out a few times with dry nitrogen before pulling the final vacuum and charging.

Good luck.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 5:20am
thanks for the info.  so the compressor clutch engaging is different than the compressor coming on and off?  not signing till this weekend, then will check things over again.  now to find a trustworthy ac guy that will diagnose properly and fix (refill correctly).    hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>