R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPulling small trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pulling small trailer
    Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 7:01am
I have a r pod 172 that I pull with a Chrysler Aspen.  I also have a 3 wheel trike that I ride for exercise, which is long, wide and bulky. My problem is:  When we go camping, I have no where for storage for my trike, so it stays at home.  Would love to take my trike with me.  Is it legal, safe, or not very wise to pull a small trailer behind the pod with my trike on it.  I would try and find a very small trailer that would just fit my trike.  I thought about removing the spare tire and take it in the back of the Aspen, but I am afraid that my receiver hitch on the back of the pod may fail, or, worse, it could damage the channel iron support under the pod.  Any advice would be appreciated.
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 11:03am
Does your state allow two trailers?  We call that an "Idaho Parade" in Idaho, and typically consists of a pickup, 5th wheel and either a boat or a horse trailer.
I would worry about the back chassis support on the POD, and the axle attachments.  two single axle trailers would be a lot of up and down movement.  Sort  of like watching a snake.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 11:17am
The states that allow double towing, state that the "1st" tow, must be a 5th wheel. 
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 1:42pm
You can't double tow safely with a bumper coupler ball like the R-Pod. The first tow MUST be a 5th wheel. And it is not legal everywhere either. Some states don't allow it.

It would be exciting to see how much sway would happen though!! From a safe distance behind of course.

Drive safe!!
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 2:37pm
The other factor is the hitch on the back of the R-Pod is not sturdy enough to support that type of load. It is meant for a load of up to 150 lbs, and that close in to the body of the trailer. The dynamic loads of a second trailer would likely exceed the capacity of the hitch and would also void your frame warranty. Your fears are justified. In short: Don't do it!
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podderfj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 9:16pm
Another question on r pod hitch attachment:  If I place one of the aluminum platform carriers on the r pod hitch with my trike, would it be feasible to attach 2 wide straps, one on each outer end of the platform and run the straps over the top of the pod and secure straps to frame on front of hitch close to TV hitch.  I would put padding between the straps and the top of the pod to prevent scratching.  Would this be feasible or a bad idea.  Straps attached in this manner would relieve some of the weight on the r pod receiver hitch, but, am I compromising the top structure by doing this?  I hope this is clear to everyone what I am suggesting
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 10:21pm
I think it is a bad idea. Even with padding, you are putting stress on the fiberglass roof which is not meant to take that kind of stress. Transferring some weight that way does not change that you are talking about grossly overloading the rear hitch for a purpose for which it was not designed. It will void your warranty if you have one. It may also get you or someone else hurt should the welds on the small cross-member that support the hitch and the default spare tire break, dumping your trike.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 6:04am
+1
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:27am
The force on the hitch when you carry things that it was not designed to carry are magnified by the fulcrum effect.  If you were to attach your straps to the aluminum wall frames instead of open space on the roof, you may be able to counter that additional force, but the risk is that you will develop leaks as the attachment screws move from the irregular force applied.  

Maybe you should consider a roof mounted bike rack for your trike.  I'm sure you can easily adapt a 2 bike roof rack by moving the wheel support in the front rack to the middle of the rack.  The only drawback is that it is a lot of windage that will further reduce your mileage.  

If your frame warranty doesn't matter to you, another possibility would be to figure out a way to extend the two frame rails beyond the end of the trailer and build a platform big enough to hold the trike.  But doing something like that changes the all of the weight distribution designed into the trailer and you'd need to make sure that you keeping things in balance.  A consult with an engineer would be advisable.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:43am
Yeah, the strap thing is highly questionable.

You probably could extend the frame to hold a platform, but it would depend a lot on how big & heavy the trike is. Have we defined that yet? IOW, how "big" is this trike in the first place? How long, how wide, how heavy?

Perhaps it would be easier to trade your Aspen in on a Tacoma, or Colorado? Then just pop the trike in the bed of the truck. That's what we do with our bikes.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>