R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGetting started

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting started
    Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 9:15am
I have never used my tanks or water or sewer system. I think if I had my choice I would have bought one without the kitchen and bathroom because I haven't used either one. That's why I would like to trade mine for one without those, because I want to travel to South America. I'm tempted to gut the interior, take out the bathroom and kitchen and make it more comfortable, with what suits me.I'm just pulling around unnecessary weight. If I am at a campground, I use their shower. And toilet. But guess I should learn how to use them in case, maybe I'll find myself boon docking and that's all I have. Let's start with the shower. What is the first thing you do. I assume you have to have a hose running to the camper. Or fill up the tank. And the hot water heater. Then the kitchen sink, and the toilet,etc. Maybe there is a how to get started on here you can just refer me to. Or give me step by step instructions. And tips. Thanks
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by henryv

I have never used my tanks or water or sewer system. I think if I had my choice I would have bought one without the kitchen and bathroom because I haven't used either one. That's why I would like to trade mine for one without those, because I want to travel to South America.

What? Never used your tanks??? Please I don't mean to be a smart a** but why the heck did you even buy a R-Pod and not just a simple small tear drop trailer that has no bathroom and such? If it was me and I was going to be towing in South America and I didn't need a bathroom it would be bye bye R-Pod and hello to a brand of rugged small tear drop camper trailer that is made for 4 wheeling and back roads.

As for how to use your water tanks and such send Forest River an email to their R-Pod representatives and ask for their users manual. They will send you a generic manual that should cover your questions. Or you can always stop by the RV dealer you bought your Pod from or just any RV dealer service center should be able to walk you through it all.

Best of Luck!
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 7:18pm
All of the plumbing begins with one of two sources.  "City water" or the on-board tank.  For city water, just hook up a hose to the city water inlet.  For the on-board tank, fill the tank at the gravity dish right beside the city water hookup.  Fill it until it overflows.  Either way, make sure the bypass valves for the water heater are set correctly.  If you are going to use the water heater, they need to be on the summer settings.  (If you're using on-board water, turn on the pump.)  Turn on the hot water at the sink until it runs with nothing but water.  It will blow air, somewhat violently, for a while.  Turn on the other faucets, including the shower and toilet until water comes out.  Wait for the water to warm up.  Take your shower.  Of course, eventually your grey tank will need emptying.  Go to a dump station and dump it.  If you use the toilet you'll need to drain the black tank too.  Really not much to it after you do it a time or two.

If you decide you don't want plumbing, trade the RPod in, don't gut it!  They have great resale value.  There's an Amish-made trailer, not sure the brand name, but one model is an "Outback".  It's way smaller than an RPod, but much easier to tow and they are very well built.  They cost nearly as much as an RPod though.  As Dave said, there are a lot of lighter, smaller, trailers more intended for an expedition like you're talking about.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 7:40pm
Considering what he's looking for, it might be reasonable to just use a cab-over camper. Heck, if all he really wants is a bed, use a shell over a pickup bed.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 10:59pm
Henry, you mentioned traveling to S. America.  You should probably give that an awful lot of thought before you launch into such an adventure.  I lived in Colombia many years ago and while I was there I recall one gringo attempting to ride his motorcycle from the US to Argentina.  He never made it past the Darian Gap.  Some nice people decided that he really didn't need the motorcycle as much as they wanted it.  They considered holding him for ransom but since his family really had no money they eventually released him.  

México and Central America are much more dangerous now than back then.  It is unlikely, if you had anything better than an old beat up truck that someone would want it more than you and would make you an offer you would not want to refuse, at least if you put much value on your continued existence.

You will also find that driving your personal vehicle into some countries in S. America is not allowed. Some countries there have very strict import prohibitions for used vehicles.  And, driving with a US license plate in some countries would be about the same as putting a sign on the back of your truck saying "rob me, take my truck it's free!!"  

I assume you don't speak Spanish or Portuguese, necessary languages for driving in most of S. America.  And the driving customs are not quite the same as here until you get as far south as Chile and Argentina where there is a little more respect for the "normas de condccíon."  

If you are interested in traveling by car in S. America, I suggest you pick a country, go there and rent a car and you can have a really wonderful experience.  But try to learn the language and you will have a lot more fun.  Colombia has incredible sights to see, it is reasonably save (contrary to the old days when I lived there), and the people are truly wonderful.  But be careful or you will end up falling in love.  Chile, Argentina, Peru, are also good country visit destinations.  Stay far away from Venezuela. Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras are beautiful but best to be in good standing with the Mara Salvatrucha.  Brazil is also fun, but the traffic in the major cities is awful and crime can be an issue.

And most of all forget taking a vehicle and or camper, trailer, motorhome, etc. to S. America.  I would give my eye teeth to do it, but it just isn't possible.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 7:35am
I was going to say US auto insurance isn't good in Mexico and taking your personal vehicle there is not recommended.  You can get temporary Mexican insurance but there are risks similar to what Fred mentioned, even in Mexico.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 9:03am
OK, maybe it's not a good idea. Thanks for talking me out of it. That's what I like about this forum, smart, honest, friendly discussion. I wasn't really set on going anyway.
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 9:10am
By the way, I bought the R-pod because I liked the design, and I got a good deal. I don't really plan to gut it. I will learn to use the plumbing side of it. I looked at a lot of trailers before buying this. I liked the smaller ones, but wanted something I can stand up in. Guess I'll learn to love it. I am making a few changes to make it more comfortable. But nothing that would jeopardize the resale value. I just took it on a 600 mile trip to the NC mountains.(used their campground shower and toilet!) It performed flawlessly. Thanks everybody!
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 10:37am
Originally posted by lostagain

Stay far away from Venezuela. Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras are beautiful but best to be in good standing with the Mara Salvatrucha.  Brazil is also fun, but the traffic in the major cities is awful and crime can be an issue.

And most of all forget taking a vehicle and or camper, trailer, motorhome, etc. to S. America.  I would give my eye teeth to do it, but it just isn't possible.  

From what I've been told, right or wrong?, Guatemala is the most dangerous country on our earth at present which says allot to me considering other countries with wars going on. I hear that El Salvador is not to far behind them. As for Venezuela being a USA capitalist citizen it might not be a good idea to visit right now, ya think? Wink

I'd love to do South America on my motorcycle but I also love my life to much to be crazy enough to try traveling there now with its economic and political upheaval, not to mention the resulting drugs and crime. 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:33am
One of my former colleagues from Peru (a Swiss expat) told me about two Swiss friends of his who, in the 60's, traveled to Argentina, bought some horses, rode to Tierra del Fuego, then north through Chile all the way to Venezuela.  I don't know if it is true or not, but what an incredible trip, if it is.  

There is so much to see in Lat. Am. and from my experience working there lots of travel is possible if you plan it well.  A travel trailer would keep you busy for years in Argentina and Chile.  In Colombia, buses are inexpensive and frequent and there are plenty of places to stay (RV's are not really in use there and there are not many campgrounds).  The Andes are pretty impressive.  I could blab for days just on things to see in Colombia, never mind the rest of the continent.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>