R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTable Mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table Mods
    Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 9:05am
I am thinking about doing something about the lousy table legs in my 179.  I am thinking of using a solid tube type table base.   Has anyone put a flush table pedestal base in the floor of their pod?  Is the floor even thick enough to accommodate a pedestal base?  
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 9:17am
wepod

check out voisj mods.  he did that and has a link for parts as well.
http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9426&PN=6&title=slopod-180-mods-johnsue

Texman
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 9:51am
I put a pedestal base in our Pod over a year ago and it's worked great. It's much easier to get in and out of the seating area, is much lighter, and is easy to set up and take down.  I also got a different table. I got a lightweight plastic patio/camping coffee table from Costco that has folding legs [about 30" x 30"]. I put a wood base on the underside to give me a little more strength to hold the pedestal base. I put a pedestal base on the underside of the OEM table in case we need to set it up in the dinette, but we've never used it. We use the heavy OEM table as a base for the dinette bed if we are going to have a couple more people traveling with us. Otherwise, we leave it at home.  

Aside from being light weight and easy to put in and take out of the pedestal base plate, the table also doubles as an outdoor coffee table when we're sitting outside and want a place to put our refreshments and snacks.  And if we want it to be full height, I made some leg extenders with pvc pipe.  

In the process we eliminated the +/- 30 pound OEM table, have a more comfortable and flexible table and have repurposed the original folding legs to a new table unrelated to our Pod.  If I remember correctly, I paid about $10 for the pedestal tube and about $6 or $7 for each of the three bases.  

A word of caution:  If you mount the pedestal table base on the floor of your pod, remember the floor isn't very thick and you don't want the screws to penetrate through the floor.  The floor is a sandwich of plywood and foam.  Once your screw penetrates the upper layer of 3/8ths luan plywood, you're in foam, which provides utterly no withdrawal resistance. Get short screws that are big enough to fully fill the holes in the base plate that are coarse threaded so they can hang on to the plywood.  Drill holes, being careful not to go deeper than the screws will go, and certainly not all the way through the laminated floor or you'll have penetrations of the waterproof membrane on the underside of your Pod.  If I remember correctly, I used 3/4" #8 screws, and I put a little glue in the pilot hole when I put the screws in. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 10:09am
I mounted the pedestal base to a piece of 3/4" plywood about 2/3rds the size of the table top.  It is quite sturdy, and allows outdoor use of the table, and 4 can sit around it and eat.  One can easily scoot the table around for more leg room.  Much preferred to the original table which now sits in the greenhouse with plants on it.  And it stows  in three pieces on the bed for travel.
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 10:26am
idaho john

What did you use for your new table top?  Sounds like you got rid of the whole thing?

TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 10:40am
I put in a whole new table, didn't like the big corner missing from the top. This way I have a full  top that I can slide back and fourth, also it can be locked in any position, plus my wife and I can sit down at the same time.

V

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 10:55am
That looks really nice marwayne.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 10:56am
Would a recessed mount work in the floor of the R-Pod? I think that might be a better choice for avoiding trip hazards or stubbing toes when the table is not in place. I also am wondering if I would need two legs for the table in our 179 since the table is probably too large for a single leg.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 1:18pm
My pedestal screws to the plywood which just sits on the floor.  The floor mount is smaller than the table top so one never has a problem with tripping.  One also learns to not push off from the table top when getting up.  Good exercise for thigh muscles.  The top is a 3/4" plywood covered with plastic counter covering.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 1:25pm
Ditto, really nice work!  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171