R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCHANNEL HOOKS for AWNINGS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: CHANNEL HOOKS for AWNINGS
    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 2:27pm
My 178 came with the 1/2" channel rather than a roll-up awning.  The devices available to fit that channel seemed expensive to me - so I went to a local welding shop and had them make me some stainless steel plugs with hooks.  

The 1/2" plug slides easily in the channel - I had the shop mill an 1/8" flat on the round plug surface so that it would slide beyond the screw heads holding the channel to the camper.  The plan is to use three telescoping aluminum poles on the outer edge of any tarp material I choose to use, and plastic tarp clamps by SE between the channel plug hooks and the tarp.  The tarp clamps are SE part # 9615RB12 - Amazon, I think.

The local welder charged $15 per plug/hook, and the hook (also stainless) is about 1/8" diameter, welded to the plug.  The plugs are 1-1/2" long, made from 1/2" round stainless stock and, again, about a 1/8" flat on the surface opposite the hook.

Good luck!
Teddy
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 6:16pm
Teddy,
 I use these sailboat slug sliders, Cheap and work perfect. Love your moxie though!
rgds John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 8:01pm
It's amazing how much sailboat stuff can be repurposed for a Pod.  I just suggested using through hull fittings yesterday for a hole that penetrates all the way through the floor.  Last fall I put line cleats at various points around the bottom of our Pod to tie down a flexible 100 amp solar panel so it won't blow away.  And the post we use for table(s) is what I had on my Newport 30 and my Ericson.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by lostagain

It's amazing how much sailboat stuff can be repurposed for a Pod.  I just suggested using through hull fittings yesterday for a hole that penetrates all the way through the floor.  Last fall I put line cleats at various points around the bottom of our Pod to tie down a flexible 100 amp solar panel so it won't blow away.  And the post we use for table(s) is what I had on my Newport 30 and my Ericson.

Lostagain,
  Couldn't agree more! I have my sailboat bbq and mount that i use for the pod + lots of other things, It's basically a TT on water. But I sold my Ericson and got the pod with the proceeds. No more "hole in the water that I poor money down" and it turns out that there are so many cool things to see on land!
But I do still miss the boat.
rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 10:14pm
+1  I use rubber sail stoppers to block off the ends of the rail so things don't slide off the track.  Also I have both size of sail slugs for hanging from the upper and lower rail.  
Thanks
Jeff
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 8:24am
John, yes, I still regret selling my Newport 30, but the Ericson was too costly to maintain and I was glad to be rid of it, a very nice boat though.  

I would get another boat, but my wife wouldn't go near it.  She likes our Pod and since I like to hang out with her, it makes traveling much, much nicer.  And besides, i'm too old and have had too many broken bones to be dancing on the bow of a sailboat in snotty weather; much  better to be sitting around a nice fire enjoying a cup of Chȃteau Thames Enbankment.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
TEDDY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 9:34am
Couldn't find goodboatgear.com on the net, so I ordered some from Amazon - thanks for the tip. I'm sure the plastic will be lighter than the stainless steel I had made. I'll have to see which I like better - my ss plug/hook comes with a hook - and I'd need a SS S hook to use the sail slides - but the weight hanging on the channel would be less. Also, I use a fitted cover over the rPod in winter, and the SS hooks hanging in the channel might be a problem - lots of things to consider.

Thanks.....
Teddy
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 10:18am

so--- which one - the 3/8" or 1/2" - fits in the track?
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 1:53pm
Both will fit in the large track.  3/8 has more wiggle, but it wouldn't come out of the gap.  On my 2017 179 Green, I use the 1/2 inch on the door side on both the upper and lower tracks.  On the track connected to the gutter over our slide, I use the 3/8's.  It's a tight fit.  Want to use these to come us with a makeshift slide cover.   See the link below.  You can find on amazon as well I'm sure.
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 3:34pm
Teddy, JohninIdaho,
The 3/8 ones work but they slop around a little and get caught up while pulling the tarp over. Not a big deal as i use a tent pole to slide them along. I used 3/8 sliders because that's what I had a bunch of. If anyone used the 1/2 sliders let me know how they well they slide with a tarp attached,(2016 Pod). 

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>