R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Recommendations
    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 5:28pm
Hello all,

Are the Renogy panels still the way to go?   I have the r-pod 180 with the built in solar wiring.  Does switching the connectors still apply?  

Also.....I have a boat and a JetSki, can these panels/controller be used to charge this stuff as well? 

Maintaining all of the toy batteries is such a pain/hassle. 

David
2017 r-Pod 180
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by xfitpanther

Hello all,

Are the Renogy panels still the way to go?   I have the r-pod 180 with the built in solar wiring.  Does switching the connectors still apply?  

Also.....I have a boat and a JetSki, can these panels/controller be used to charge this stuff as well? 

Maintaining all of the toy batteries is such a pain/hassle. 

I have a Renogy suitcase 100 watt and am happy with it. yes, you need to switch the polarity. the Renogy came with alligator clips on the end' bought a mini-plug that matched the solar input on the 179 and reversed the wires when splicing in the new plug. Works great. Can't answer your questions about other toys though.
Blender Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 7:13pm
I have a Zamp 120Watt suitcase and love the study stand. It plugs right into my 178 with no mods or switching. Has alligator clips for other batteries.  I use these clips to charge another trolling type 12v battery that run my inverter. Red to positive should charge auto 12v type systems.
Bob
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71
2018 178 R-pod Hood River Edition
xfitpanther View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:58am
Any idea what rate it charges your trolling battery?  2-3amp?
David
2017 r-Pod 180
Tomcheryl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 1:49pm
Hello everyone I love this forum, I have already completed several modifications that were inspired by this forum.
( removed the useless tiny bathroom sink, put a shelf over bed, extended drawers under kitchen sink, reupholstered and change the cushions around the dinette)
Our next attempt is to get the solar power running.
So from what I have been reading here if I buy the zamp system it’s plugged in ready. That sounds perfect but unfortunately the price tag wow !!
Now the Renogy is less than half but messing around with the wires freaks me out a little bit. Would somebody be willing to walk me through the process?
My husband and I are super newbies.
TIA Cheryl.
Life is short,it’s time to roll
Blender Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 4:13pm
Watts divided by volts --> Amps   120 watts / 12 v yields at 100% 10 amps/hr. But 100% is not realistic.  I found I can harvest 40 to 50 amp/hrs per day with a fairly clear(blue sky) day with not too many moves of the panels to keep them aimed optimally at the sun.  I find on the controller I'm getting 7 to 8 amp/hr in full sun with good panel angle.

I went with 120watts for just a little more capacity.  I have 2 - #27 batteries having about ~160amp/hr total capacity -- so if I use them to 50% (use 80amp/hr), I can get them back to 100% with two days solar harvest.  So far, with frig running on propane, it's hard for me to use 80amp/hr per day.  I'm working on getting an inverter setup so I can run the TV/Microware, (but not the A/C).  Yes, Zamp a bit more, but I do love the plug and play attributes, and I like the charge controller that comes with it.
Bob
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71
2018 178 R-pod Hood River Edition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Tomcheryl

Hello everyone I love this forum, I have already completed several modifications that were inspired by this forum.
( removed the useless tiny bathroom sink, put a shelf over bed, extended drawers under kitchen sink, reupholstered and change the cushions around the dinette)
Our next attempt is to get the solar power running.
So from what I have been reading here if I buy the zamp system it’s plugged in ready. That sounds perfect but unfortunately the price tag wow !!
Now the Renogy is less than half but messing around with the wires freaks me out a little bit. Would somebody be willing to walk me through the process?
My husband and I are super newbies.
TIA Cheryl.

Hi - the process is very simple and easy. This is the unit that I have and use for my 179:

As it says in the description, the wires that feed out of the solar panel controller (one red, one black) come with alligator clips on the end of them (intended to be attached directly to the trailer battery). In order to be able to plug directly into the solar port on the side of the trailer, you need to do change the connectors from alligator clips to a two-wire flat wiring plug that will fit into the trailer connection. Any decent RV supply store or local hardware or auto parts store will have one; they only cost a few bucks. They look like this:

Basically, what you do is clip the wires off of the alligator clips, and connect them to the wires on the plug that you'll use to attach it into the trailer (make sure you use the end that will fit into the trailer connection point). When you do so, reverse the wires - the red end from the solar panel goes to the black end of the plug, and the black end  from the solar panel goes to the red wire on the plug. 

Best way to connect the wires together securely is to use butt splice connectors - Google it and you'll see what they are. Local hardware stores will carry them - take the wire with you to get the right size. They work best with a crimping tool. but it a pinch I've done them with Vice Grip pliers.

Good luck - very easy to do, I've used the Renogy panels on several trips now. At the end of the day, the battery is always back to fully charged. Of course bad weather will reduce their efficiency.  Be aware that while its ok to expose the panels themselves to rain, the controller is not waterproof, so don't leave it out and exposed to rain (not going to do much good anyway).

Hope this helps!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 5:58pm
One last thing to consider - the wires attached to the panels aren't very long (10 ft) so while you're at it, you might want to lengthen the wires. I had some wire around from something else and just spliced an extra 10 ft in to each wire. That gives me more flexibility to move the panels around in the campsite to better catch the sun as it moves.
Tomcheryl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 3:10pm
Thank you! thank you, for all this wonderful information I will be ordering mine this week.
I will keep you posted. It’s very reassuring to have a source of knowledge to tap into thanks again
Cheryl
Tomcheryl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 12:56pm
ok !! I have everything needed to connect the solar panels. BUT I'm not sure which end of the flat wiring plug to connect??? both ends fit into the trailer port the only difference is the wires are opposite 
>>>> on one end the red wire is attached to the enclosed insert and the white attached to the exposed insert. the wires are flipped on the opposite side  
I have no clue of what I'm doing.
 HELP   Thanks!!!
Cheryl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>