R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFan Longevity 24-7?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fan Longevity 24-7?
    Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 7:36am
Any idea on the quality of the rooftop fan bearings used in mid-2017 180? On hot days, whether camping or at home, I prefer to run the fan 24-7 to keep the interior cooler. Without the fan I’ve seen interior temps of over 100-degrees, not good for the sensitive electronics found throughout. 

OTOH, I also don’t want to prematurely burn out the fan or destroy the bearings. 

I also have a dealer installed Samlex solar panel installed that keeps the batteries happy and at full charge even with the fan running 24-7. So, battery drain isn’t an issue.  Thoughts and thanks. 
2017 180
2010 GMC 1500 Hybrid
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 7:42am
I hear you and had the same concerns.

I bought two small USB fans fairly cheap on Amazon. Those will be easier to replace! I hang them on Command strips for general air movement and by the bed for warm evenings.

If on Shore-power. I have a 110v fan (again cheap on Amazon).
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:09am
Not sure about the stock fan, but I know that you can get replacement parts pretty easily for the Fantastic Fan. I installed a Fantastic Fan (the one that can go reverse or intake) in an earlier non-RPod trailer and it seemed pretty bulletproof to me. 
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:19am
I don't know how long it will last but, I can tell you this much. My vent fan is on, all day from late june, thru september, for the last 2 summers. I run it on occasion in spring and fall. So far, no issue
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
BVK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Ben Herman

Not sure about the stock fan, but I know that you can get replacement parts pretty easily for the Fantastic Fan. I installed a Fantastic Fan (the one that can go reverse or intake) in an earlier non-RPod trailer and it seemed pretty bulletproof to me. 

I've been following many rv-blogs / youtube channels for several years, and the Fantastic Fans get heaped with praise. I can't recall a single negative comment on them. When it comes time to replace our stock vent fan, I'll be picking one up, despite having no personal experience with them.
2012 RP-171 HRE, 2006 F-150
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 9:08am
Originally posted by BVK

Originally posted by Ben Herman

I've been following many rv-blogs / youtube channels for several years, and the Fantastic Fans get heaped with praise. I can't recall a single negative comment on them. When it comes time to replace our stock vent fan, I'll be picking one up, despite having no personal experience with them.

Agreed - they're a great product.
4Papa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

I hear you and had the same concerns.

I bought two small USB fans fairly cheap on Amazon. Those will be easier to replace! I hang them on Command strips for general air movement and by the bed for warm evenings.

If on Shore-power. I have a 110v fan (again cheap on Amazon).

I also have both 12v and 120v fans, but only for days I'm actually camping. I use a 12v pedestal fan on the bathroom counter directed at the stock ceiling fan just outside the door as well as a 12v circulating, clip-on fan for general interior air movement.  I use the 120v stationary fan either indoors or outside plugged into the AC receptacle behind the wheel well.  

For general 24-7, unoccupied cooling, the stock ceiling fan works well for drawing super-heated air out of the interior.  I assist the flow by cracking the over-bed windows.

From the comments received, thus far, sounds like I'll just keep on keeping on until the stock fan dies.  Then replace with the Fantastic Fan. 
2017 180
2010 GMC 1500 Hybrid
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 2:06pm
We have used our fantastic fan quite a bit since we purchased our 177 back in January 2011.  Still runs great in spite of the fact that I have never added oil/grease to the bearings.  And still runs quiet.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 4:01pm
The 180 fan motor in a 2017 is p/n 10-20968. Maxxair has a warranty of 2 years from time of purchase. Mine started squeak and I called the company no questions asked sent me a replacement.
4Papa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Lear111

The 180 fan motor in a 2017 is p/n 10-20968. Maxxair has a warranty of 2 years from time of purchase. Mine started squeak and I called the company no questions asked sent me a replacement.

Not sure when you bought your 180 but if it's squealing already, not a ringing endorsement for longevity.  However, you're the first in this thread who's reported a failure.  Could be the others had failures which is why the move to Fantastic Fans.
2017 180
2010 GMC 1500 Hybrid
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>