R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst Time Winterizing Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Time Winterizing Help
    Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 1:57pm
Just picked up our first Rpod-2018 179.  We love it.  Picked it up in Houston.  The dealer blew out all the lines and said that was all they did down there.  No antifreeze.  We camped 2 nights, but did not use any water or the bathroom.  

Today I parked the unit and decided to winterize using antifreeze, based on advice I saw here.  Got last little bits of water drained, and was able to get antifreeze to drain out of low point water tank drain and hot water drain outside.  Did not see anything coming out of the cold water drain.  Nothing coming out of the cold water tap inside the trailer, but did see it coming out of the hot water side and the shower head when hot water on. Nothing to flush with toilet.

So I made sure the unit was as level as possible and put antifreeze down drains and in toilet.  Trying to understand what I did wrong that nothing came out cold water side?  Is it because the trailer is new and it hasn't been used before?  Just don't want to mess up with our new purchase.

I did have a bit of trouble with the pump not pulling.  Went outside and followed instructions to relieve pressure with city water.  Believe me, antifreeze came out of THAT spot.  

Any advice would be appreciated.  Do I need to worry about the cold water line and the toilet or will the new unit be okay until spring?

Thanks.
PK Colorado
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 4:06pm
The order of steps seems to confusing to me. I have winterized with anti-freeze. I drained the water, bypassed water heater and using the syphon line syphoned AF into water system using water pump, I didn't relieve pressure or open low point drains, or any of that. Drain water, syphon AF in, pretty simple, once drained it is drained. Really good You Tube videos on AF winterizing an RPod.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
ColoradoPK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 4:33pm
My wording mistake. I followed the video on you tube. Drained lines and left open. Siphoned AF and saw AF dripping from low point drain and hot water but not cold water drain. Also inside TT I had AF coming out with hot water on but nothing coming out when cold water on.
PK Colorado
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 5:34pm
It is basically straight line. From either fresh water tank or city water, with exception of syphon line. The cold water side is basically uninhibited or controlled.

Let's see if I can post plumbing diagram:

Mike Carter
2015 178
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 5:40pm
I'm confused, so I'll start at the top.  Drain the water from the potable tank and the water heater.  (Make sure the water heater is off and cool and there is no pressure on the tank.  I turn on the hot water at the sink to do that.  Remove the anode to drain.)  Open the cold water faucet too to relieve the vacuum on the line. Open the low water drains, usually near the axle.  There are two or four of them.  The drain on the water tank is something else, but open that too.  When the water has stopped draining from the low water drains close them.  You do NOT want antifreeze pouring out on the ground (until you de-winterize.)

Set the water heater valves to winter positions.  (That's another discussion.  Ask or look it up if you need help with that.)  You do NOT want antifreeze in the water heater or in the potable water tank.

Find the antifreeze siphon hose near the water pump.  Open the flave at the top of the hose.  Close all of the faucets except one.  It helps to have someone flip the water pump on and off for you.  With the siphon hose in a bottle of antifreeze, turn on the pump until pink comes out of the faucet.  Close that faucet and then open every other faucet one at a time until you see pink coming out.  Don't forget the outside shower if you have one, and do NOT omit the toilet valve.  Hold the flush open until you see pink coming out!

As you did, put a little antifreeze in all the traps and in the toilet valve.

That's about it.

Oh yeah, the black and grey tanks should be as empty as you can get them.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 5:41pm
Thx for the diagram. So I shouldn’t worry if no AF came out of the outside drain?
PK Colorado

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 6:08pm
So I looked back through the directions to see what I may have done wrong.  The RV dealer had already blown all the lines with air by the time we got to them to pick up the trailer.  So I started with the instructions at opening the fresh water and low point drains.  I had saw water draining from all so I waited until draining stopped.  Recapped the fresh water tank but left low point drains open.  Still had suction problem so did trick of relieving pressure at city water inlet.  Got a good amount of air and antifreeze.  Then went in and the AF sucked up nicely.  

I went back out and saw pink in hot water low point but not cold.  Went back in and used more AF.  I think my mistake was that I kept a faucet open inside while still leaving the low point drains open.  Is that possible that that is why I couldn't see pink from the cold water line?  Also, held the lever for toilet and never had pink flush out.

I do appreciate the advice.  Willing to learn and don't want to damage my water lines.  

Thanks again.
PK Colorado
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 6:21pm
I think you are on to problem. You don't want open drains while pumping in AF.
Mike Carter
2015 178
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 6:24pm
To answer your question - forget about the outside drains - you want anti freeze in the internal pipes. Shut the outside drains.
Mike Carter
2015 178

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 7:04pm
Right.  I'm still learning.  I think I may try again from scratch tomorrow.  I know when I took the anode out, there was no water-all dry-and I think that should be so because the RV dealer said they blew all the lines.  New day, fresh start, fresh set of eyes to try again.  Thanks for the advice.
PK Colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>