R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFurrion Stereo Antenna Connection?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furrion Stereo Antenna Connection?
    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 6:17pm
Hey all, the Furrion stereo in my 191 gets only one channel in the FM band, so I'm thinking there is no antenna connected or it wiggled loose. I got the boosted TV antenna (QAV type) that has two rubber duckies on the roof. 

The TV works fine, the previous owner said he got no channels, but I think it's because he did not know to turn the booster on. I got 70 channels once I did that.

Is the stereo usually not connected to an antenna on these? Is the roof TV antenna also for the stereo? Seems like it should be. I suspect I might see the coax back there, and just they forgot to plug it in...

I'm going to end up pulling the stereo out to check in the back I guess. Any feedback on this would help in advance...Thank you! 
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:16am
The only thing I can tell you for sure, is the stereo reception does need the antennae booster turned on. The t.v. and stereo both will get no reception with it off. Sounds like you might have a bad/no connection.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 5:08pm
Thanks amigo. My TV works as designed with the booster on, so I'm guessing maybe the "stereo person" at the factory forgot to plug in the coax or was the 1st day on the job, etc. Stereo is acting like there is no antenna attached. Everything works, but for AM/FM it only gets one station. (sigh) I guess I'll have to take the stereo out to see....
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 4:46pm
Just an update to this, I was getting only one really strong radio channel, no others. So, I pulled out the TV wall plate and (as most know) there is a small powered PCB board there with coax for the TV, but then I also had a Motorola radio plug cable connected and it was still coiled up and twist-tied. I thought "A-ha!" that's it they never connected it to the stereo...

But then when I pulled out the stereo, it did have a coax with a Motorola plug in the antenna jack hole leading to a three-way cable splitter that joined the TV coax to the antenna on the roof. Why? The Motorola plug in the stereo was just sloppy loose and not making contact. That's why I had such poor reception...

So now I know why the stereo was not getting any stations. -Loose Motorola plug in back of stereo. I pushed the Motorola plug in and it started getting all the local stations. Big smile 

Now I am wondering why didn't they connect the Motorola plug from the TV outlet plate to the stereo and instead chose to use a piece of coax from the stereo antenna plug to the TV coax splitter? And, since the TV antenna is powered by a booster, does that mean the stereo is boosted also when connected to the TV coax splitter? Confused

So the $10,000 question is...when you connect the FM stereo coax to the TV splitter, is that also boosted like the TV, or do I need to connect the antenna cable coming from the TV outlet plate directly to the stereo in order to get boosted reception???

Hope that makes sense, if anyone knows please post here. 
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 8:28pm
A lot of times if you are sharing a TV antenna with an FM receiver, there needs to be an attenuator to reduce the signal to the FM receiver. FM receivers don't need nearly the same signal level as a TV.

In my old days, we called those RCA connectors.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 8:57pm
OK I think I have this figured out. The plate with the TV cable connector on the wall is similar to or is the Winegard RV-7542 Wall Plate/Power Supply. 

1) It is the 12 volt power supply and the switch that provides 12 volt power to the antenna on the roof. It also has connections for two TVs.

2) The antenna on the roof has the amplifier built in it, which is powered by the wall plate/power supply when the switch is turned on.

3) The coax from the antenna on the roof runs down in to the stereo cabinet and connects to the "in" port of a splitter in there. The TV and the stereo are both connected to that splitter. Then there is coax that runs down the wall to the wall plate/power supply "in" and the TV is connected on the outside.

4) The unused coiled up extra Motorola plug coax connected to the back of the wall plate/power supply was simply not used. They must have decided it was easier to use a splitter and connect the stereo that way. 

5) The cable TV jack from outside (if you have cable service at a campground) has coax that runs in an connects to the back of the wall plate/power supply and you connect the TV to that if you were to use it. It's like a straight-through really.

The installation is like you see in this diagram but the splitter is connected to the coax as it comes from the antenna on the roof. 

podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 11:52am
Only problem with the factory pre-amp and antenna hooked up to the AM/FM radio is, at least on mine, it rendered the AM mode non-functional.

I installed a seperate, dedicated AM/FM rod antenna on the roof (with the cable direct to the radio) and now both bands work well. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 6:49pm
@podwerkz , Did the AM work if the power to the antenna was turned off?
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 8:02pm
Nope, it is common in the various engineering fields to design and manufacture radios, pre-amps, antennas, noise filters, etc, these days that simply don't work properly (or at all) on the AM band...in fact, most new hybrids and electric vehicles don't even have AM mode in the dash mounted radio, due to the extremely high noise level that renders AM mode useless near the vehicle electronics.

And I realize about 95% of people don't bother to use AM radio....but I DO and I want it to work.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
KB7LAK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 5:00pm
Where do I get a replacement antenna?  I have 2 up there and one fell off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>