R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBroken Welds on Floor Joists - Next step

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken Welds on Floor Joists - Next step
    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 12:48pm
Broken Welds - 182g 2014 - Part 2.

No returned email or phone call from Forest River.  I will send another message and call again next week.  

I have taken my trailer to a local welding shop and they jacked up the outer frame of the trailer and added supports every foot on both sides of the trailer.  They have welded the broken weld on the rear floor joist, which lifted the slide side of the trailer 2-3 inches!  The tire looks properly positioned in the fender.  Outside it looks much better. And I feel that this unit is likely stronger than it was when originally built.   

The slide out position and angle has now changed - as it is now where it should have been.  The slide out really tipped on an angle as it was extended.  (much worse than before)  ... so I've taken out the flooring to access this area and found that the slide mechanism is attached to 1.5" wooden boards that do not appear to be attached to anything.  They appear to be sitting on the bottom layer of plywood lauan(sp),  and are not attached anywhere.  So as the slide extends this is lifting.  Once it is balanced and the slide is out all of the way - the wood returns to the floor level.  Hope the photos demonstrate this better than my words.  This lifting would not have been visible before I took up the flooring, as it would have been under the flooring and under the slide out.  

How do we stabilize these boards or stop them from rocking up and down, when the slide out is moved?  Any suggestions?  

The bolts that attach the mechanism seem to the floor(?) seem to have moved over time.  See last pic.  Is this normal?  is there a way to adjust and level the slide out?  

Looking forward to the next step.  We want to go camping!
Belinda
Belinda
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 1:13pm
Can you access the area where the boards are from under the trailer? The boards themselves appear intact. Maybe you can add boards under the floor and screw them up into both the aluminum joists and into the existing boards? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Junkinpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 1:50pm
Cannot access this area from under the trailer unless we remove the water tank.  Doable ... just prefer not to dismantle that too but it may be required.    
Belinda
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 2:39pm
Compared to all the other stuff dropping a tank is probably minimal extra work. But adding blocking under there might interfere with putting the tank back. A metal plate might work better in that case. Then seal everything up before putting back the tank. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 3:55pm
Broken welds or welds failing is becoming a common issue. Adding out riggers to the frame to help support the outer walls is becoming more apparently needed. 

PM me if you so wish.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 4:12pm
This is only the second issue of broken welds related to the frame. One was the Lippert frame. This was the floor. They  are two separate issues. The broken weld I experienced was on a Lippert axle which is a completely different type of issue. I'm not sure I would say that they are becoming a common issue. However, if it does happen, it is a serious problem.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 6:21am
Originally posted by StephenH

This is only the second issue of broken welds related to the frame. One was the Lippert frame. This was the floor. They  are two separate issues. The broken weld I experienced was on a Lippert axle which is a completely different type of issue. I'm not sure I would say that they are becoming a common issue. However, if it does happen, it is a serious problem.

Floor failure and frame failure are completely different. Manufacturer, fab techniques, materials, and causes of the two types of failure are all different. 

There is one thing in common though. Both are the end result of FR's quest to minimize cost and weight of their products. That is what they rightly believe their customers want from them. If you want a better built, heavier, more expensive trailer there are several excellent options out there. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 6:24am
Originally posted by StephenH

Actually second within a month dealing with floor welds and from this group. I belong to several other and the FR related weld issue is coming up frequently now (more than wished for). Close an eye to the signs if so inclined Stephen or take preventive action (again, if so inclined).

Safe Travels!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 7:12am
Okay, your sources of information have given you additional cases that I had not seen. I do keep an eye on my RPod as the last thing I want is for it to start falling apart on me. I have had some leak problems (check my mods and you will see. The water heater one was one that was challenging to find), but I think I have them all resolved now. I know the floor issue for a water damaged and sagging floor was broken welds. That same topic also mentioned the slide-out mechanism dropping also which make sense because that mechanism is in the floor, not in the walls like the Schwintek mechanism in the current RPods.  The other, IIRC, was a broken rear cross-member from putting too much weight on the rear receiver (bicycle rack).  These are the only topics with broken welds in the last 6 months.

I think adding at least a couple of supports would be a good idea so I will likely be trying to find a place that can do that. Meanwhile, I will be keeping an eye on things to make sure I don't see any signs that the floors might be sagging.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 7:30am
I don't believe that there is any evidence to support floor sagging unless there is also water damage. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Based on that and observation of the floor construction I think that water intrusion is the root cause not broken welds. The plywood and the adhesives used to create the floor sandwich are integral to the integrity of the floor structure, so don't let it get wet. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>