R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinter hauling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter hauling?
    Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 10:34am
Now that I am fully retired, I am thinking about hauling the Pod down to Florida for a couple of months during the coming winter.  However, since I live in Minnesota I was wondering about the advisability of hauling the Pod during the winter months.  About half of the trip would be in below freezing and snow conditions. 

If you haul your Pod during the winter, do you have any helpful advice?

My tow vehicle will be a Chevy Pickup, V8, auto-transmission, 4x4, with 'auto' 4-wheel drive.
The Pod's brakes are controlled via a Prodigy controller.  Do you set your proportional brake controller to a different sensitivity for winter hauling?
I don't plan on sleeping in Pod until I get far enough south to not worry about freeze-ups.  I also plan on re-winterizing the Pod before I head back up north.
TIDALWAVE
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 12:25pm
All I can find in the manual I found online: 

The power may need to be adjusted for different load weights and road conditions.

Which is odd, because I thought in my manual it talked about winter driving, and had a full section on how to set the power properly (which I also don't see in the online manual).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 9:36am
What is this manual you are speaking of? How can I get hold of it! While I am not macanial, my husband will absorb it and give it back to me in bits that I can understand. Anything on Winter camping I would like to gather. Maybe not using the facilities that deal with water(this can be taken care of in a place that has good bathhouse), but I would like all info on how to protect the underside when parked.
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 9:44pm
Sorry, I was just looking at the manual for the Prodigy break controller.
joe & vickie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 10:18pm
       I think that you should consider tire chains on your pod for snow & ice  conditions. The pod is so light you wouldn't want it to pass you while you are braking going down a hill.
R-POD 177- Gitty up go
FORD-F 150
Tamms View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 3:19pm

Tire chain are illegal in some states. This website tells you the specifics for each state.

Tammy, Robert, & Linus the morkie (Two & a Half Nerds)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 4:56pm
I have seen them here in Tennessee, but bet we have a few other things that might be illegal in other states, like radar detectors in Virginia.
While I think I would have a whole new "wrinkle" when it comes to Winter driving, I know I am concerned about pipes freezing.
The winterizing before leaving home is most logical, then you have to get someplace and flush it out?? Is this even allowed in a campground, into the sewer??
Have been saying I was leaving home when football season starts. I know, shame on me, but the drone drives me nuts.
SO, just figured out where I am going. OUT to my Escape POD. It's hooked up for ac and frig on and a pile of books and the dog.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 4:59pm
Tidalwave: When you are traveling and don't plan to sleep in your pod until you get to warmer clime, will not having any water in it keep the underside pipes from freezing? Not sleeping in it is keeping you warm, but how does it fare just parked in a motel lot?
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 10:40pm
No big deal un-winterizing into the sewer system.  The "pink stuff" is non-toxic.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 8:04am
Yet another tip to know, thanks.
While I was thinking on Winter camping in order to attend a class in January, in my enthusium I failed to THINK of getting there! Over the mountains between Tenn and N.C.  or down by the Ocoee area. I have done it by car, tense most of the way since I do not like to drive on ice. Pulling the rig, on myDead. I am chewing off enough by learning the whole thing, in good weather conditions.  Just have to find my class when the snow is not flyingStar
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>