R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewbie towing question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie towing question
    Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 7:38am
Newbie here; please be gentle. 🙂 When I searched, I didn’t see a similar questions, so...

Does anyone tow their R-Pod with a vehicle rated for 3500 lbs/350 tongue? And if so, how big an R-Pod? We are wondering if we will be limited to the 171, or can go a bit bigger to the 3,000 lb dry weight size? LOVE the 171, but would prefer something with an awning.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you!

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:35am
OK, gentle.  Some folks do it but I wouldn't tow anything larger than the smallest rpod with a 3500 lb tow vehicle, if that. 

Look at the gross weight of the trailer, not the empty weight. Empty weight is very misleading as it doesn't include any options, batteries, or water in the water heater or tanks. Not to mention supplies, clothing, tools etc. Typically folks are closer to max trailer weight than empty weight, and if you boon dock you will probably need to work at it not to exceed MTW. 

Then also consider that a tongue weight of 10% or total trailer weight is the very least you should have to minimize sway risk, and note that you can't keep the tongue weight at 10% all the time, it will vary based on loading. 

Also, the 3500 lb tow rating is misleading as well as manufacturers assume nothing is in the tow vehicle when they establish that rating. Consider what you will really have in the tow vehicle, cargo and passengers, assume the trailer is at MTW, and leave some safety margin beyond that so you're not pushing the max limits of your rig. 

That in practice means a 5000 lbs/500 tongue tow vehicle minimum for all but the smallest, lightest loaded rPod, maybe.  Why not get an adequate tow vehicle so you can get the trailer you want and have room to take some gear and passengers with you? BTW, you will not get better fuel economy towing with the smaller TV. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:50am
All that Offgrid said.

Plus there are lots of options for awnings if that is the sticking point on the smaller rpod. You don't say what year 171 but you can buy an awning that slides right into the rdome track...some folks have even made their own.

Does the one you are looking at have rdome?
Julie
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 2:18pm
+2.

IMO, I think the manufacturers are being misleading when they advertise based on empty weight. At the very, very least they should list the weight range, and the corresponding effect that has on tongue weight.

No one tows empty. There is always clothing, groceries, and gear (like cooking utensils, etc. etc.). It's easy (really easy) to add 500 lbs to the trailer weight. If you're boondocking,probably more because you will also have a filled FWT.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 2:18pm
Hi, a really good rule of thumb for towing is trailer should be about 1/2 of tow vehicle rating for comfortable towing and long life of the vehicle.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 4:09pm
+1.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 6:06pm
+2
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
JayJay65 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 6:22pm
Lots to think about, for sure! Thanks, everyone. We will certainly aim for the lightest R-Pod and/or re-think our tow vehicle.

Ying Yang

I appreciate everyone's input.
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:25pm
You don't HAVE to tow at Max Gross Weight, but it's a good idea to be able to if you want to boondock.

What you need is the Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW). Then add your "stuff". My towels, dishes, cords, hoses, cleaners, pots, ..... weigh about 175 lbs. Add clothes, food, beverages and whatever (lawn chairs?) and that could put you over 250 lbs extra.

Because of the way I use my 180, I tow it at 3122 lbs and 14% tongue weight makes it pull superbly!
John
'16 R-Pod 180
Badweissenbier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 11:18am
We tow a 190 with a Jeep Wrangler 4 door. I use a weight distribution hitch and sway bar with no problems and we’re always climbing the WV hills.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>