R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Is antifreeze necessary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rawest50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is antifreeze necessary
    Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 6:38pm
This is a question about why antifreeze. 
I seen a great video of winterizing and Rpod. After watching I started wondering since you drain the water tank, remove the anode to drain the hot water heater, open the low water drain hot & cold and open the faucet valves, run the water pump and blow the lines with air are the pressure lines not pretty much empty?  Traps need a dose of antifreeze. What is the antifreeze if the lines are empty?
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 6:55pm
Many people do it exactly as you describe, works fine. Your choice.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 7:33pm
Added insurance, in the traps and toilet bowl.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lear111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 8:03pm
Toilet valve water pump depending on climate I would do anti freeze. Peace of mind like insurance
Steve
Lexus GX460
R-pod 180 2017
1 black lab
rawest50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rawest50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 8:33pm
That is easy. What I was thinking. 
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
rawest50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rawest50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 8:39pm
Toilet is a little  in the bowl. Plus sink trap and shower drain and sink trap.

If the system is air blown out. Traps , toilet etc with antifreeze. What flush it through the entire system since you do not allow it to flow into the hot water reservoir. Water pump you Truro on and drain through the faucets. 
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 8:45pm
The system has no water to freeze in it. That is what air does, you covered little left in traps, but its empty.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 10:20pm
If you do use air, you also need to make sure the water pump is emptied of water or else you risk having a broken water pump or at least a broken strainer bowl. If you use RV antifreeze through the winterizing valve, this is taken care of. If you are using air, it isn't, so you will need to take that step along with adding antifreeze to the traps and toilet bowl (to help keep the seals lubricated).
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 5:06am
The first few years of using air I was 'wet behind the ears' and was unaware of the water strainer bowl on the water pump and as a result, never checked to see if all the water was out.  Apparently it was as often temps fall below -25 C in northern Michigan during January and have never had a leak.  Since then I have checked the bowl after blowing out, it doesn't take long to unscrew the bowl, but every time have found maybe 1 or 2 drops remaining inside at most.  Usually it is totally dry. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
rpod190 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpod190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 12:46am
Found out the hard way you should carry some antifreeze from Florida to St Louis in the winter. We went from 70 to 15 in an ice storm and the toilet valve popped a seal. I was able to fix it by pushing it back in, however, a small crack leaked and I tried JB welding the valve and never found it. Amazon sells a replacement which is frost resistant and it solved the problem. On the positive side, no other problems occurred with the pipes, thank god. It may not be available down south as they do not freeze, just make sure you bring some...
Wynnster
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>