R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery disconnect wires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery disconnect wires
    Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 3:57pm
I'm a new pod owner and have a dual 6V setup.  I am preparing for summer and buying a battery disconnect switch.  I have already bought wire gauge 4, but am not sure what the actual rpod unit gauge wires are.  Can anyone confirm what should be used - or to what degree it matters if not the same?  I believe i should use the same gauge across all items.  Meaning connecting the 6V in series as well as the disconnect itself. Secondarily, I was wondering for installation of the switch, do i connect to the ground wire directly or just use the available ground wire to connect to the switch terminal then to battery?  I understand there might be directive on both approaches.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:07pm
4 gauge is more than capable of handling the current to your 12V loads . The wiring to the electric panel is going to be 8 gauge as there are 40 amps fuses in that line. You are half right on using the same wire size. You can always go to larger conductors, never to smaller. In this case you are going larger so no worries.

Per the electric code you should never switch or disconnect the neutral (grounded) conductor, which is the negative. If you do then the whole electrical system will be floating with no chassis ground reference. So place your battery disconnect in the positive conductor. Be careful not to short out your battery positive terminal to the trailer frame while working on it, it’s best to disconnect the negative conductor temporarily first to minimize this.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 11:16pm
I think the electric code you are thinking about is for AC.  DC batteries can be on negative or positive. If you Google "rv battery disconnect switch wiring diagram" you will see both ways. Here's a fun one for you http://https://www.hotrod.com/articles/kill-switch-positive-or-negative/
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 4:59am
Like most things the real answer is complicated.

First, the National Electrical Code, (National Fire Protection Association or NFPA 70) covers both AC and DC circuit design. I’ve been designing solar power systems (which are of course DC) for 40 years and participated in writing the NEC Article on solar installations. So for sure the NEC applies to DC circuits. Just ask any solar installers who have failed their electrical inspection. So if you design a DC electrical system for your house (regardless of voltage) you need the follow the currently approved version in your city/county (not all are on the same version) and have the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ- typically your county building department) approve it.

Where the confusion comes in is that an RV is not a house nor is it a motor vehicle. There is a section in the NEC specifically for RV electrical installations (Article 551). But an RV moves around so who is the AHJ? To solve that jurisdictional problem the RV industry association (RVIA) worked with the NFPA to produce NFPA 1192 specifically for RV safety. So it covers propane, ingress/egress, etc. It also covers electrical by referencing NEC Article 551 for all electrical systems. So again, the NEC applies to RV’s.

However, it also references another standard, ANSI/RVIA LV specifically for low voltage electrical systems. I’m too cheap so far to drop the $45 to buy that one (all the current NFPA docs including the NEC are available on the NFPA website for free viewing if you want) so I don’t know what’s in it.

But I can tell you that a basic rule in electrical system design is to maintain a solidly grounded neutral at all times and place all fuses, breakers, and switches in the ungrounded line so that when you open circuits they are dead and you can’t accidentally reenergize them by creating a connection to ground somewhere else. There are rare exceptions mostly for industrial applications but we don’t need to get into that here.

So the summary is tha the NEC applies to both AC and DC systems and to RV’s. There is another standard I don’t have access to for RV low voltage electrical systems that also applies. And good electrical design tells us to install disconnects, switches, and fuses in the ungrounded (positive) conductor. Sorry it’s so complicated.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 7:27am
Thanks OG good information and well explained.  Should help a lot of us novices. 
Jay

179/2019
Camp town usa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 8:17am
Thanks for the background.  Lots of information out there and some gray areas dont make it easy for newbs.  I will connect the switch on POSITIVE.

My last question was more for the switch itself and because i am not savvy enough.  Without having my RPOD available due to storage, when i connect am I taking the available positive lead and connect to the switch, then switch to battery?  I bought 2, 4 gauge wires but am visioning maybe i only needed one and can use the available positive line itself.  I hope this makes sense what I'm trying to get at.  I otherwise have a 2 gauge wire which i will connect the dual 6V in series.  I have no problem getting same sized wires across the set up but if it doesn't impact anything then i will keep as i already have.
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 8:30am
I will just add this, I do know about Article 551 and it is for the 120 AC in RV's. Here's a link you should read before installing on the positive side. It is written by Mike Sokol who is an electrical and professional sound expert with 40+ years in the industry. here's his book RV Electrical Safety  For more info on Mike’s qualifications as an electrical expert,  http://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electricity-12-volt-tech-battery-disconnect/
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 8:50am
Not sure if this helps but here is the thread where I installed my switch.

I used 8 gauge wire and a 40 amp breaker at the battery output.  You could use the 4 guage wire....I would recommend a breaker in case of any short out.  It probably won't trip because all the wires connected to the battery switch have a fuse or breaker so it is just an added safety feature
Camp town usa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 9:17am
Pedwards, Thanks for sharing your install.  I cant tell how the lines are connected through the switch.  Can you describe the line connections from battery to switch and then to positive? Are there more lines attached to the switch at each switch terminal?
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 9:37am
I connected the line from battery thru circuit breaker to one side of switch terminals.  I took all the wires that were formally on the battery + and put them on the other terminal on the switch. If you turn the switch off it kills all the DC to the trailer.  I have noticed if you plug the trailer into A/C power the convertor seems to supply 12 volts to some circuits not sure which but I know the refrig fan comes on even if the battery switch is off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>