This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New Podder - advice on canopy/awning?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote NoCoPhoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Podder - advice on canopy/awning?
    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 9:35pm

Greetings from Northern Colorado.  I’m very happy to have found this site.   I’ve done some research on this site already and I look forward to learning more. 

My wife and I purchased a 2014 179 last fall and promptly put it into storage.  We’re working through some details to get it ready for camping season – replaced the factory original tires, will add an internal surge protector and will likely need to replace the original battery. 

Any advice on a canopy/awning/tent room?  We’re going to need some shade!  We’re trying to determine which type might be the best fit. 

. For an enclosed canopy, I like the idea of the R-Dome, but does Forest River or Dometic still make and sell the R-Dome?   Is it worth trying to find a used one?

. What about an unenclosed awning or canopy?   Something like the Pahaque r-pod awning.

. For a canopy, I see the Pahaque canopy is sold out but the DIY solution (sits in the channel on the Rpod and use poles/ropes on other end) looks like a reasonable solution.   

Thoughts? 
Looking forward to R-pod-ing!
Barry in Northern Colorado
Rpod 179 - 2014 & Honda Pilot - 2012
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 10:09pm
Hello and welcome! I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with your RPod 179.

Now, about the awning. If you can find one, the R-Dome is the one that you likely will want. As for an awning, the 2014 model is not made to mount an awning. You could do like I did and make one that slides into the Keder rail. See my mods for pictures. I used rope for mine. I would recommend you go to Amazon and look for the proper Keder rail insert. I'm not sure if this is the right size but it will give you the idea of what to look for.

It is a lot easier to push the proper Keder insert through the rail than to try to push a rope through. 

There are other options. Advanced search is your friend. Select that and then you can expand the date range of your search to search old posts, not just those newer than 6 months.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 6:47am
+1

Agree that the r-dome is your best bet yet there are places where it won't work due to lack of space at certain campsites and rock outcroppings.  Our favorite park, RMNP (Estes Park - you know that place) is a prime example.  We have in the past been in some sites where the dome would be impossible to set up due to proximity to rock outcroppings and the like, also it does take 15 minutes or so to set up.  The first time it was 45 minutes but after 10 years of practice the time to complete the task has been shortened.

Utilitize the tab under 'General Camping' on this forum and go to the bottom where it says 'campers flea market' there are times when people either don't want to bother with the dome or just plain don't like it and sell them for a fraction that a new one goes out the door for.

The other popular option that many like are the 'clams' that set up in literally a minute.  They don't attach to the r-pod but does give another room to hang out in that keeps out bugs and such.  Enjoy your new 179 and have a great year camping.  We love your state, many great places to camp, hike, and explore.  Have a niece that lives in Cotopaxi and have found some great places by the Sangre de Christo mountains to camp at.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 12:25pm
I agree that the Rdome is the conventional solution. We are one of the ones not a fan of it (no aspersions to those that love theirs!). Another solution is the clam or Gazelle for a stand-alone solution. Both of those go up in about a minute (maybe 2 minutes the first time). We like the plain awning that attaches to the keder rail. 

Take a look at those, and choose what appeals to you.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 12:34pm
We have a 179 and use both the original Rdome and an awning that we made.  both fit into the standard keder rail.
We use the Rdome when we will be set up in the same place for multiple days, for more privacy or inclement weather.  We sit in it, play games, read, set up a table and eat there as well as use it as a front porch.  you will hear a lot of people complain about the set up complications, but after the first time or two, you can set it up in about 15 minutes.  It is stable, waterproof and fairly wind resistant.  as Jato mentioned, there are sites that will not allow the extra flat space for set up. Overall, we love the Rdome and use it about 1/2 of our trips.
We also use an 8x12 tarp that slides into the keder rail and is supported by 3 adjustable poles with guy lines.  We will use the tarp when we are staying a short time, when we need a quick shelter and when the space will not allow the Rdome. The tarp provides some rain cover, some shade and serves as a front porch for entering/exiting in the rain.  we also will set up a table and eat there, socialize and enjoy the views and fresh air.
It's hard to say which type of outside space we prefer-we use both and carry both with us all the time.  It's nice to have the choice.
good luck with your pod and safe travels
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 2:43pm
I have the clam style (but different brand) shelter. The advantage of the awning is that it provides some rain protection for the door so it can be opened and you can go in or out without being directly in the rain. Of course, if it is blowing, that is not going to help completely, but it is good to have that. I find the combination of the awning we have and the separate pop-up  shelter is good. It provides much more flexibility in placement than an R-Dome has.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
NoCoPhoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NoCoPhoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 5:37pm
Thank you very much for the responses.  You've given me a lot of information to evaluate and research (now that I know how to look up more than 6 months back!). 

Barry in Northern Colorado
Rpod 179 - 2014 & Honda Pilot - 2012
RoverPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 6:44pm
I have a Clam. It's a great screen room. I can set it up by myself in literally 45-60 seconds not including staking down (which isn't always needed).
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
podrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 1:36pm
Check out martisawnings.com.  This has been our favorite for 7+years.  Our trailer came with the dome; did not fit our style of camping, sold it and bought the awning.  Good luck with your search.
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 7:08am
+4 for the clam.

One major issue with any kind of tent or canopy is that they incur wind damage and/or have to be well tied down. That takes time and effort. O

ur strategy is not to try to do that, the clam goes up and down so quickly that if a blow is coming you can drop it flat in seconds, then erect it afterwards in seconds. If you camp in areas with sudden afternoon tstorms that is a huge advantage.

Other advantages. It's not attached to the trailer so if you need to make a run to the dump station it's easy. It's got full bug screening, our experience with the rdome is that it's bug screening is very ineffective and includes running that silly screen along the bottom rail which the trailer tire interferes with. You can put a small pet in the clam and he will be contained, there are too many openings at the bottom of the rdome to do that.

The clams are available in several sizes to suit your needs. You can set it up to take advantage of the views at your campsite or take it to the beach or lake for the day.

All in all there is no comparison.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>