R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Cargo Carrying Capacity on r-pod 176

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote billyingolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cargo Carrying Capacity on r-pod 176
    Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 11:01pm
Hi everyone! I'm a hopefully soon to be owner of a new to me 2019 r-pod 176 Hood River Edition (not 10th Anniversary, just regular), and have learned a ton reading through these forums. I have a quick question about the cargo carrying capacity because the sticker is quite confusing and also very different than the material published online.

The dry weight on the sticker is 2945 lbs, and the listed cargo carrying capacity just below that says 518 lbs. Then immediately below that it says "Calculated with the fresh water tanks full: Cold 250 lbs, Hot 50 lbs."

But then right under "Tire and Loading information" in the sticker below, it says "The combined weight of cargo should never exceed 818 lbs."

Does this mean that the CCC assuming full tanks is really only 518 lbs? That seems wildly low and much lower than what's published, so I wanted to double check whether that seems correct and figure out if I should reconsider purchasing this trailer.

Thank you!
RoverPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 6:44am
That weight capacity seems accurate.

GVWR is around 3780. Subtract your dry weight and you would get around 835.

Your listed total cargo capacity is 818. So that seems to be in the right ballpark.

If you have a full fresh water tank and a full water heater (300 lbs total), then you only have 518 pounds left of cargo capacity.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 8:22am
+1. And expect those numbers to be optimistic.

You should weigh your trailer fully loaded and see what it really is. Mine weighed about 300 lbs more that I expected. You can go through a public scale twice, once with and once without the trailer. If you have a weight distribution hitch leave it untensioned. Subtract to get the total trailer weight and if you get weights on each axle then the tongue weight is the difference between the weight on the tow vehicles 2 axles with and without the trailer. As you load the trailer keep the tongue weight at least 10-11 percent of total trailer weight. You'll find that you don't have a lot of room to play with especially if you boondock and/or have a lighter duty tow vehicle.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
billyingolden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote billyingolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 11:10am
Thank you! So I guess the question I have is whether I should reconsider purchasing it? It'll be me and my partner and our 2 year old, and we should have quite a bit of room in our tow vehicle to keep bags and stuff, but I wasn't sure if that's just normal and it's fine, or if that quite low CCC should be cause for concern.
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 11:43am
Originally posted by billyingolden

Hi everyone! I'm a hopefully soon to be owner of a new to me 2019 r-pod 176 Hood River Edition (not 10th Anniversary, just regular), and have learned a ton reading through these forums. I have a quick question about the cargo carrying capacity because the sticker is quite confusing and also very different than the material published online.
The dry weight on the sticker is 2945 lbs, and the listed cargo carrying capacity just below that says 518 lbs. Then immediately below that it says "Calculated with the fresh water tanks full: Cold 250 lbs, Hot 50 lbs."
But then right under "Tire and Loading information" in the sticker below, it says "The combined weight of cargo should never exceed 818 lbs."
Does this mean that the CCC assuming full tanks is really only 518 lbs? That seems wildly low and much lower than what's published, so I wanted to double check whether that seems correct and figure out if I should reconsider purchasing this trailer.
Thank you!

LOL! Yes to all of the above! Why would you doubt the manufacturer?

The published Unloaded Vehicle Weight of my 180 is very close at 2950 lbs. Ready to travel, mine weighs 3122 lbs. R-Pods are designed to be unusually light so you won't be able to haul your gold stash in it.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 3:18pm
The manufacturers just try to make trailers appear to be extremely light so they can sell them to people with little SUVs towing them
I long since lost track of the number of folks joining here with 3500 lb rated vehicles who want to tow trailers too big for them. Not safe.

You don't have that problem, you have a robust tow vehicle so it's more a matter of where you wind up carrying your heavy stuff. If you don't mind putting it in the truck and otherwise like the trailer you've picked I'd say go for it. if you want it all loaded in the trailer then get something that can handle that, your TV should be fine.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
RoverPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by billyingolden

Thank you! So I guess the question I have is whether I should reconsider purchasing it? It'll be me and my partner and our 2 year old, and we should have quite a bit of room in our tow vehicle to keep bags and stuff, but I wasn't sure if that's just normal and it's fine, or if that quite low CCC should be cause for concern.

What is the payload capacity of your tow vehicle? You will need to consider that when you start loading up the tow vehicle with passengers and bags and stuff.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
billyingolden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote billyingolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2021 at 12:27am
We have a Kia Telluride with tow package. The payload capacity is ~1600 lbs, and the three of us weigh less than 300 lbs combined, so I think we're in pretty good shape on that front. Great callout though, thank you!
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2021 at 3:48am
You're not in great shape necessarily. The tow rating you have assumes you have an empty tow vehicle, only a driver on board. You don't get to load 1600 lbs in the TV and at the same time tow a 5000 lb trailer.

Look at the MCGVWR (Max combined gross vehicle weight rating). Should be on your driver's door sticker. That is the most your whole rig can weigh. Assume your trailer weight comes in at or near it's max. That is very likely with an rpod especially if you boondock carrying water, dual batteries, or dual propane cylinders.

Subtract that weight from the MCGVWR. That is the most your Telluride can weigh. Subtract the SUV's curb weight from that. That is the the most all the stuff, people, pets etc in the Telluride can weigh. You'll find it's less than you think. I did.

Then you'll have to decide how close to the MCGVWR you really want to be driving down the freeway in bad weather in traffic. There is a difference between what is strictly legal and what is safe for the various conditions you will experience. Most people want to be well under their max ratings. I want at least a 10-20% safety factor personally.

Not saying you can't do what you're planning. My TV has a similar set of ratings to yours. But there are just two of us and I found we had to be very careful what we carried. Just the bare minimum stuff beyond what was required when boondocking.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2021 at 8:02am
billyingolden, consider using the calculator that offgrid has posted a number of times to calculate your trailer and TV capacity.  Maybe he can put the link in again.  If you plug in the numbers, you will have a much better idea of where your weights are vis-a-vi your vehicle's capacity.  You will need to weigh your trailer and TV at a public scale to get all the numbers you'll need to plug into the calculator, but in the end you'll be well informed and will be able to tow your trailer with the peace of mind that you are within the TV's weight capacity.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>