This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Hello from Maine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote OldMainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Maine
    Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 11:26am
Hi all!
We are soon to be the proud owners of a 2009 R-Pod 172. My wife and I are in the process of buying a used 2021 Sienna Hybrid minivan and I was looking for a travel trailer lighter than the vans 3500 lb towing capacity. I found the 172 for $8499 at a RV dealer about an hour away. It appears to be in great shape. The had removed all of the graphics and were going to apply new ones. We saved $500 by having the not replace them. We live a quarter mile from a shop that does vehicle graphics including all of the area fire and emergency vehicles, so we may opt for some custom graphics to match the van. As soon as I get both vehicles, I'll post a picture. 

The hybrid Sienna is rated at 36 mpg for both city and highway, but I'm sure that will drop significantly while towing. If it stays in the mid 20s I'll be happy. We have had 5 different RV (all motorhomes) since about 1999 and gas mileage in all was under 10 mpg. If there are any forum members out there with a Sienna hybrid tow vehicle, I'd be very interested in hearing your experience with it.

We both retired 7 years ago and we do a lot of camping around New England with one or two multi-week cross country trips a year. I've already discovered that this forum will be a great resource of information.
OldMainer
2009 R-Pod 172
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 12:30pm
Welcome Old.  You will find your 172 has much less resistance with the graphics removed.  We peeled off the worn out graphics on our 172, put a coat of Meguiars and noticed an immediate improvement on our mileage.  Wink  We thought about naming the 172 White Cloud, but decided adding more graphics might increase the wind resistance. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 12:55pm
I think the graphics on the front might be the most critical ones. I'm not so sure about the ones on the sides.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 1:33pm
Welcome to the forum Old Mainer.  A thought: get your 172 weighed before you go on a trip (go to your local county road commission weigh scale - they do it for free) to see how much weight you have.  They can weigh the 172 by itself as well your Sienna minivan together.  It may be a real eye opener.

Our 177 dry weighs in at 2415 but fully loaded for a 3 week trip, including 36 gallons of water we weighed in at 2940 lbs.  I don't believe the 172 is a whole lot lighter than the 177 plus our 177 does not have A/C, microwave/convection oven or entertainment system, saving us 150 + pounds. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 2:04pm
Jato has a good point.  The max weight of the 172 ["dry weight" + cargo] is 3179 pounds.  If you add the tongue weight it is another 179 pounds.  You're going to be pushing the maximum capacity of your Sienna and may find that it's uncomfortably heavy.  You may want to check with your Toyota dealer to see what the maximum combined vehicle weight capacity is.  By the time you add in your passengers, gear, water, LP, batteries, and trailer, you may find you're overweight.  You may do adequately in New England, but once you go west and hit the high mountains, you may find that your engine and transmission are just not up to the task, not to mention your brakes.  

We towed our 172 with a Dodge Dakota with 4.7 V8 and a 5000 lb towing capacity.  I it struggled up high mountain passes such as Carson Pass and the tranny got pretty warm until I put a cooler on it.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
OldMainer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote OldMainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 2:15pm
Thank-you all! Just the kind of feedback I needed. I will definitely check into the weight issue.
OldMainer
2009 R-Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 4:07am
Definitely weigh as other folks have suggested. You have several weights you need to stay within besides trailer weight. If you use the advanced search I have posts on how to weigh accurately at a public scale and links to a calculator that will tell you if you're within all your limits. That is the min requirement to be legal in the highway. Dont tow if any of the limits are over, either redistribute or remove weight or get a heavier TV. Most people like to keep their weights 10-20 percent below all the max loads as safety factors. Also check that your tongue weight is at least 10-11 percent of total trailer weight or you can get trailer sway, which can be deadly.

While it won't increase your limits at all, adding a weight distribution hitch will definitely improve rig handling in a situation like yours where you'll be near your limits. First check your manual to see if your tow vehicle manufacturer allows wdh use. If it does then get one and tension it per instructions, which will move weight from your TV rear axle to the front and trailer axles. The objective is to get the front axle back to what it was before adding the trailer, NOT to "level" the TV. If you overtension the wdh you can move too much weight to the trailer axle and overload it.

Most wdhs also include sway control or it can be added separately, so get that too.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 3:53pm
Welcome OldMainer. There are lots of knowledgable folks here on the forum with great advice. As a matter of fact, the forum saved me about $150 just this weekend. I was going to replace my two, 5 year old batteries but decided to run them through some testing described here on the forum and wouldn't you know it, my batteries are fine! No need to replace them yet.

I second the need WDH. Make sure you load your tow vehicle and rpod as it would be for a typical trip so that you can dial in the adjustments. We use a FastLane 6000# hitch that has worked flawlessly for 5 years and many thousands of miles. 

Be safe and enjoy!

gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179
2016 Nissan Frontier SV
Colonel Podder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colonel Podder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 4:56pm
Welcome OldMainer! 

Congrats on your purchase. My feelings on the graphics are that they are a part of what makes the trailer an R-Pod, and therefore an important part. I would spend the $500 on new graphics. Plus the factory graphics would go back in the same place and look the best without any possible fading showing.

Just a thought.
2021 R-pod 196
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 2:02pm
Nice to meet you OldMainer. I'm a Mainer myself with a 2016 172. I've had it for 3 years and really enjoy it. This forum has been a lifesaver. I'm in California now but will be back in Maine by the beginning of June. Would love to meet up and compare notes.
Julie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>