R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Water leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Water leak
    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 11:35am
Help! I found a water leak on the floor of my 2016 R-pod 171. I was hooked up to a house hose. I've never used the fill tank but I took the drain plug cap off and a lot of water came out. Turned the water back on and that worked. Maybe the previous owner had left water in the tank. So I left the plug cap off and overnight it's still dripping slowly. Is that normal? Or is the shoreline hookup leaking somehow into the tank? I don't where to look for a possible leak.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 11:53am
A few more details would be helpful in troubleshooting:  where was the water spotted on the floor?  by the shower? by the kitchen sink?, You state that the plug cap was removed - do you mean the one on the FW tank or somewhere else?  You are hooked up to your home water supply and state "it's still dripping slowly" - what and where is this dripping slowly?  

The three main areas I would search for a leak on a 171 are: 1) under your kitchen sink - while pressuried run a paper towel over the H and C supply lines, also the trap under your sink and see if there is any wetness on your towel and running over each of the above areas.  2) remove grill under the door that leads to the bathroom/shower and shine a flashlight to where the trap is - look for wetness or drips under the trap - sometimes that can come loose - easy to fix by tightning the screw bands on the plastic trap.  3) Go to your HW tank and inspect to make sure it is all dry - especially the 1 1/16" drain plug and the lever that opens the vent above, if that is leaking quickly open and close - the gasket could have dried out over winter and needs a bit of lube/water to make a tight seal.  Stand back when doing that procedure if pressurized - a lot of water can escape in a moment.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 2:55pm
The leak was small, on the opposide side of the shower. It's not the shower. It was just under the drawers. When I drained the fresh water tank it went away.I think the tank was full. I had never used it, thinking the city water hose connection bypassed it. But the previous owners could have left water in it. I left the cap off the fresh water tank low drain and it's barely leaking, only out of the low drain on the water tank. Only a drop every couple seconds. I don't know if that is normal or not, but it is something I can live with if I have to because it's not leaking elsewhere. I have a water pressure regulator, and have ordered the kind with the adjustible gauge. The hot water tank area is dry.

Thanks for responding, have a blessed Easter!
Richard
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 4:43pm
Should have no leak, no drops, nothing.  The low point drain caps either have an o-ring or rubber washer that is either dried out, distorted, or cracked and needs to be replaced.  Go take the part with you to a hardware store and get the part replaced.  Are you located where it never freezes I hope because if you do, there may be more 'leaks' in store in the future.  Sounds like maybe not as you stated you have no other leaks - - that is a good sign.

May you have a blessed Resurrection day as well !
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 5:38pm
I think you misunderstand me. My low point drain cap(on the fresh water tank) doesn't have an o-ring or rubber washer. It's just a screw on cap. But that's not the problem. With the cap removed, the leak is coming out of the water tank where it was removed.
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SC for Huskers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 6:15pm
There has to be a check valve of some kind between the tank and fresh water feeding the whole system.  My guess is it may be leaking.  I would leave the drain cap off until you find that valve.  I have never looked but would think it would be near the pump.  Video on youtube says to fill the tank, run pump for 10 min, and that fixed his.
Good Luck
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
Rosie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 7:13pm
Our 2016 178 has 1/2" NPT plug on the fresh water tank drain.  I suspect if the tank did not have water in it when you bought it it could be a stuck check valve in the water pump.  This will cause the fresh water tank to fill when hooked up to city water.  Potential cure is to cycle the pump several times to basically reseat the check valve in the pump. This should stop the fresh water tank from adding water when connected to city water.  On a side note, our low point drains also have 1/2" NPT plugs, not straight thread that would require an oring. 
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 9:27pm
Thanks Tom, I see you're in Goose Creek. I'm in Summerville. Happy Easter!
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 9:31pm
Thanks Rosie, I see you're in beautiful Bend, Or. I've never been, but my Dad used to say it was the most beautiful place he ever saw. Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. Happy Easter!

Richard
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 9:35pm
Tom, Do you have a link for that Youtube video? Did he have the same problem?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>