R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp: Water heater output to fresh water tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help: Water heater output to fresh water tank
    Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 3:54pm
Newb alert...first post here. Just got my R-Pod 172 (I call mine X-Pod) to use this winter for snowboarding trips.

This winter, I want to use my water heater to keep the freshwater tank thawed.

On another (non-R-POD) forum I saw a post where a gent said he plumbed the hot water output into the freshwater tank using a thermostat controlled valve to move hot water from the water heater to the freshwater tank to keep it thawed. The freshwater tank could be kept thawed simply with one thermostadt controlled valve. Seemed an extremely elegant solution.

I would GREATLY appreciate advice on how to plumb this in the X-Pod from you expert R-Podders to make this mod as easy as possible. Questions...

1. Where is the best location to put a T in a hot water line?
     - Location near the sink faucet would pull hot water through sink line, keeping that thawed.
     - Shower hot water might be closer/easier install.
     - Make the extra effort, install a T at both the sink and shower.

2. Where to connect a hot water return line back into the freshwater tank (with valve in between).

Other side issues worth noting
- Will be using X-Pod most weekends, i'll keep it plugged in to home electric during the week.
- Cabin will be kept above freezing through the week while plugged in at home (and on trips)
- Will sanitize water heater.
- Gray water - I planed on dumping RV antifreeze in as we use it.
- Black Water - I plan to remove the X-Pod Toilet and put a cassett toilet in it's place for the winter.
                      Blackwater will be in the cabin at cabin temps.

I'm extremely open to suggestions on this as I need to get it done by Nov 14th or so. Thank you for any help!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 5:27pm
That's a new one for me so, I can't be of much help....sorry.Ouch
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 6:35pm

My first question is what are the temps going to be when you leave it plugged in at home? How are you going heat it. If you put the tee in will the water need to be circulating and wont there be a pressure build up issue in those lines if the water isnt circulating. It sounds very costly to keep it going in the winter. Let us know.

Thanks , Steve
sjf
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 7:00pm
It might be easier and cheaper energy wise to put a pond type heater into the fresh water tank. Then it could be turned on an off as needed. With some searching you should be able to find a 12v unit that could be used on and off the grid. the use of a recirculate system is energy intensive, and probably not needed as the greatest portion of the tubing is inside where you will be keeping the temp above freezing, although that may be problematic as most of it is behind and under where air circulation is not the best.

Good luck with whatever direction you go!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Iteach5th View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 7:32pm
You may be able to keep your tanks thawed, I don't know how you'll keep the lines thawed unless the water is allowed to flow. Dumping antifreeze into the grey tank will fill it pretty quickly. 
Best bet would be to dry camp and try to find a shower someplace else.
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 7:34pm
Instead of cutting plumbing, what about a stock tank heater, I think they are 120 volt only and are submerged and have a thermostat, I have not done any research on them, any heater with the capacity to keep 35 gallons of water warm from freezing  will probably drain the 12 volt system quickly. maybe a low volume 12 volt pump to recirculate water from the hot water heater is best, you might be able to t into the hot water output with a smaller line and recirculate it, leave the hot water heater on gas mode. let us know how it works out.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
XPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 7:37pm
Is there a way to get into the freshwater tank other than the fill line and drain plug on the bottom? I thought about a pond heater but i'm hesitant to cut into the tank itself.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 7:44pm
If you pack snow up all around the camper that will help a lot.  It will also help in heating the camper.  It really depends on how cold it will be.  If it is only down to around 32* you shouldn't have much of a problem.  Even colder temps. for short duration wouldn't be bad.

Remember the furnace blower draws a lot of power.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
XPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 7:44pm
Temps...i'd just like to keep the freshwater above freezing...maybe a little more for some buffer. I live in the tip of southern Indiana so the winters aren't too harsh but we can still go below freezing for a few days at a time. Ya the electricity might cost a fortune but i'm not sure about draining/winterizing every Sunday night, then de-winterizing on Friday. I went into this knowing the fuel for winter camping was going to be significant.
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 9:10pm
  I don't think that the stock tank heater would work to well, as the fresh water gets low the heat elements would make contact with the bottom of the plastic tank and the result may not be what you want besides having to cut a hole large enough to get into the tank and the electric wire to seal up tight. At this point I don't have a simple solution to your problem without doing something really expensive.
  I have to vote with Iteach and say go the dry camping route even though it is not what you want to do.
            Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>