R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA/C, Outlets & 12v

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A/C, Outlets & 12v
    Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 2:28pm
Ok I have the unit home now and I am going through the paces while in the drive way. And I have a few questions for you all since my dealer is closed today and will think about this all night if I do not asked now.
While running off 12volt battery only the lights work. Is this normal?
For some reason I thought I could have lights and electrical outlets running off the battery.

I am sure the A/C draws to much juice to run off the battery, but as I am new to the R/V world I figured I would ask.

When I hook up my unit to the power running from the house everything runs ok.

Oh yes, I am already working on a mod to my unit. Pictures when I am done, but so far I removed the television above the bed, as we do not like a tv when we are on the road. I am closing off the area (above the bed) where the tv was to make storage for clothes and what ever else we may want to store. Still plenty of head room
Carl & Sandee              2013 R 177               2012 Titan
Anthony Valenzano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 3:36pm
AC outlets and the Air conditioning only work when shore powered.  You'd need an DC-AC inverter to have 120VAC power from 12VDC battery.  Lights are 12VDC, along with the furnace, bathroom fan, water pump.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 3:38pm

Outlets, A/C, microwave, electric element in the water heater, and in most models the television only run when plugged into an outside 120 volt AC source.  Lights, exhaust fan, fridge, water heater, water pump, and LP detector all work from 12 or 120 volts (only use propane for the fridge and water heater when running only on battery).

As you said, most of the stuff I list as 120-volts only require way too much energy to run from batteries.  Theoretically you could run the A/C with about 8 batteries and an inverter... for about 8 hours.  Just to give you an idea of how much energy they use.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 3:38pm
Hi Tricera-pod,
The frig will work on 12V as well as the lights and fantastic fan, so will the furnace fan, but i might be wrong with that.  Both frig and furnace will draw down your battery quickly.  The propane sensor is also 12v. From what I hear there are no 12v outlets, even on the new one. A number of us have added 12V outlets at various places, fairly easily to tie into a 12v line.  A search for 12v outlets should bring up a how-to. We use 12v auto fans in summer when dry camping to get a breeze inside.
The power center is a converter, 120to 12 volts,  not an inverter, 12 to 120 v.  Some have installed an inverter to run a cpap machine or household appliances. 
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
TRICERA-POD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 5:14pm
Thank you all for the information. After awhile I figured that what you told me was the case, I just wanted to be sure I was on the right track or I did something to ole Tricera-Pod.
We will not be doing any dry camping this year, at least I don't think we will, way too hot in the southern states we will be visiting.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 5:19pm
One of the nice things about adding 12v outlets is the ability to charge ipads, phones, etc, when 120v's aren't available, or when you forgot your wall wort, but have the car charger in the TV.. or so it would seem..  
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 7:27pm
OK something new for me. What's a wall wort?
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by TRICERA-POD

OK something new for me. What's a wall wort?

Leave it to Furpod to use an odd terminology.  Haven't heard that one used in a long time myself.

To my previous knowledge and use a wall wart would is an external power supply, usually in it's own casing that you'd power game consoles, modems, and routers usually have them.  Your laptop or small portable DVD player would have that type of adapter.

I'm sure you're familiar with them but possibly not the vernacular!

LOLLOL
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 7:38pm

"Wall Wart" is a nickname for those little black things you plug into the AC outlets in your house or RPOD to change AC to DC.  It is basically a small transformer.  If you use one, be sure to use the one for your appliance or else verify that it can handle the amperage of whatever you are plugging in to it.  This is why you should use the one meant for whatever appliance you are converting energy for.  Also, be aware that wall warts have many different insertion connectors and they are all about the same size...another reason for using the one meant for your appliance.

In case you want to adapt a spare wall wart for something else, check the amperage and the connector.  Radio Shack has an assortment of adapters for changing the tips (connectors...plug ins to your appliance).

A couple of those with you can be handy in an RPOD if you are using shore power and have not run any 12VDC outlets.

Happy power podding,

Burt
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 7:45am
OOOO Now I see said the blind man. Thank you. I do have a few of those around the house but I have only used them once or twice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>