R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThings to remove to reduce weight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Things to remove to reduce weight
    Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 1:29pm
Hi Dear R-pod friends 

If I want to remove anything from 2011 R-pod 176  to reduce weight, what you think could be removed? my TV is 3500 LB, now the loaded weight is already 2700 LB, total people weight is 300 LB. 
haven't count anything else including water yet. 

I can only think of the microwave oven, maybe the spare tire if a short trip, what else could go? 

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 2:26pm
I don't like to tow approaching TV specifications greater than 60%, however, you can save a ton by not loading it at all before a trip. Keep it light and tow it to the camp site dry. Set it up, detach, and then go get your supplies. There are plenty of nice camp sites within reasonable distance of everything you will need. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Theresalbush View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 4:06pm
I'm facing the same thing.  Just bought an R-Pod yesterday and tow vehicle is rated at 3,000 lbs.  The Pod is loaded from the factory is weighs in at just over 2,300 lbs.  I've been accustomed to staging my 13' Scamp out with a lot of "cuteness" and know I can't do it with this one.  I'm struggling with how to make it our own and not add any weight.  Any ideas?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 7:57pm
With a 3500 pound tow rating you'll be fine with the usual stuff, just don't load up the water tank with more than a few gallons (for on-the-road use).  Don't worry about pulling stuff out of the pod.

With a 3000 pound tow rating I'd measure everything that goes in, you'll probably find it adds up to about 400 pounds.  You should be able to keep it below 3000 pounds total.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Wen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 11:56pm
Thx Podster & techntrek for the tips, I need to carefully calculate the water usage based on the trip length and people on the trip, :),  

Hay Theresalbush, 

I purchased WDH and sway bars, adding airlift 1000 to springs too, all these suggestions is from the forum, 

Seems we are in same boat, the weight left over from trailer is essentially same. wish us good luck. 

Theresalbush View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 5:13pm
Thanks to everyone for your comments.Smile

Wen, 
I certainly do wish us both much luck.  We pick it up tomorrow after having a heavier hitch installed, transmission cooler and brake controller.  These things were suggested by our Subaru dealer, Camping World (not where we are purchasing it), and U-Haul, where we have our hitches installed always.  All have said positively that we will be fine.  I have been out today cleaning up our 13' Scamp getting it ready to sell and realize that it must weigh, loaded, close to the same as the R-Pod. I am a collector of cute things and have had it loaded with so many "cute" but useless items, I'm surprised it has been as easy to tow as it has been.  We pulled it 5,000 miles in June and July, all across the states and Rocky Mountains with no troubles.  Hubby says it pulled it better than our other vehicles have.  Our Subaru is a 6-cylinder and has been referred to as the "big" 6-cylinder.  I don't know what that means but I'm trusting it will make a difference. I plan to be very, very selective in what goes into the Pod and have told my husband that he can approve every item before it goes in.
Let us know how it goes for you and I will do the same.  We're headed to North Georgia next week for a few days and it will be out first outing in the Pod.
Smile 
Wen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 11:32pm
Theresalbush

Yeah trans cooler and brake controller is a must for our vehicle.

Nice to have your first pod trip so soon, congrats! my Pod pick-up date is next Tuesday, :), have to wait, our first trip is Thanks giving off-work time, a 100 miles test drive, two nights staying at a national park north SF bay area, the two nights also test drive my little one  over 1 year old too, she is the biggest question mark now. The learning will be used to Dec visit of LA Disney land which is 5 days... all lined up... ha ha. 

Cheers.

wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:50am
Make sure you have a break controller. If not, have one installed.
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Theresalbush

... I plan to be very, very selective in what goes into the Pod and have told my husband that he can approve every item before it goes in.

Careful with that, or it is going to turn into a man cave on wheels.  Big smile
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Wen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 5:43pm
My install list on 2012 Odyssey: Hitch/Trans cooler/Prodigy P2 controller/airlift 1000/4 pin and 7 pin wiring, plus WDS and sway control. 

The airlift is amazing, it turns the van's softness into truck's bold feeling, better control and confident turning, love it. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>