FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDogs and Breed Restrictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dogs and Breed Restrictions
    Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 11:28pm
Hi all, 

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.  I have an American Pit Bull Terrier.  Not only that, but he's a big one for his breed, weighing in at about 100lbs.  Yes, he's big for a lap dog, but that doesn't stop him!

We just picked up our r-Pod this past weekend and I've been looking through camp websites and have been seeing a lot of "pet friendly, but not pit bulls" (paraphrased).  Has anyone else run into this?

We've been trained, our pitty spent two weeks being boarded while going through his training, and we're responsible dog owners, but I'm already starting to wonder if we made a mistake getting the trailer if we can't find a place where we can take Boaz with us.

Thoughts?
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 6:43am
It appears that many camp grounds do have bread restrictions. Policies, such as this, are being driven by insurance underwriters that push campground owners to restrict "aggressive breeds" to qualify for liability insurance. Unfortunately, its the irresponsible pet owners that are making it hard for everybody. 

I'm not sure it's a blanket policy at this point, but would contact the campgrounds that you intend to visit to see how restrictive and how much it will affect your plans. 

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 8:10am
This is not unusual at the privately owned commercial campgrounds - for the reasons stated above. If you must have full hook-ups and/or strongly prefer the private campgrounds, you will be limited.

At the State and National parks that I frequent, there are no breed restrictions. However, all require a 6' leash anytime the pet is out of the camper or vehicle. Indiana allows pets on the hiking trails but, the National parks usually don't, or limit the trails one may take the pet. They are usually not allowed in public buildings and I seem to recall that Michigan does not allow them on beaches. There are dog rules but, not breed specific rules.

I'm not one to promote breaking the rules. However, in decades of camping, I have found the parks to be sensible. When Dixie is outside with me, she is on a 15' vinyl coated steel cable that I either attach to the picnic table or camper. As long as she is well confined to the campsite and not near the road, all seems OK. I have never had anyone complain. I carry a shorter 10' cable, if the situation dictates. In short, if we are not causing a problem, they tend to leave us alone.

So, if you can live without hook-ups or with just electric hook-up only, you should be able to find plenty of options.
Luminoire View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 11:41am
Thanks, I appreciate the input, and would love to continue hearing more if anyone else has thoughts on the subject. 

We'll explore around, we're hoping to make this weekend our first trip (if I can find a place!), we'll see how much we rely on the hookups. 
2015 R-Pod 177
2012 Ford F-150 w/Ecoboost
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.” -R. A. Heinlein
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 11:55am
Dog preferences are a very personal thing. 

I, for one, am glad of such rules. The Pit Bull breed is unpredictable and aggressive, a very bad combination(http://www.dogsbite.org/legislating-dangerous-dogs-appellate-court-decisions.php). 

Personally, I avoid people with them as much as possible.
Luminoire View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 12:42pm
Unfortunately, the dogsbite.org site is highly biased, it's a shame they're allowed to misrepresent statistics the way they do. 

Still, I understand many people hold your beliefs, and this isn't the place to debate a topic that is so divisive.  We're supposed to be having a good time here!  :)

Happy podding to you, Happy Tripping!
2015 R-Pod 177
2012 Ford F-150 w/Ecoboost
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.” -R. A. Heinlein
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 9:42pm
It is, unfortunately, the state of things. I to believe it's driven entirely by legal issues. I have no issue with any breed of dog. I do have issues with some dog OWNERS. I have 2 brothers with pitts, great dogs. But that's because they were properly trained and socialized.

It's just like my cars, I have never had a claim, ever. Haven't had a ticket in 30 years.. But I drive a GTi and a Mustang GT.. insurance company bends me over.. not my fault, all the other idiots putting them in the ditch etc.
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 10:29pm

I read some of the garbage spewed about dog breeds and which bites the most etc. and just shake my head. Don't know where they get some of that BS. We have had a 3/4 Norwegian 1/4 Lab, a 1/2 husky 1/2 Golden Retriever, a 1/2  Black Lab 1/2 Golden Retriever and now we have a Lab/ (and probably American Staffordshire Pit Bull Terrier.  I loved them all but guess which one I like the best.........the lover boy Lab/Am Staff Terrier.Thumbs Up
Actually there are several similar breeds, a few I can remember are the American Pit Bull Terrier (which I believe is what we have), there is also the American Staffordshire Terrier, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and and an English version. England is where they originated. 
Since getting the Lab/Am Staff 5 years ago I've met many dogs and owners of said breed, many in campgrounds. Just like most prejudices we find most are BS once we get to know the subject. i just don't know what the problem is. These dogs are so affectionate and people orientated they actually don't make good guard/watch dogs.

Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 11:12pm
37 years in Police work, deal with sheppards, dobies,rotties, all kinds......................was only ever bit b\y a Chihuahua!! You never know! 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Leo B

37 years in Police work, deal with sheppards, dobies,rotties, all kinds......................was only ever bit b\y a Chihuahua!! You never know! 

My guess is you took his Taco! 

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>