Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere to and how often do you use your R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to and how often do you use your R-Pod
    Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 4:00pm
This may not be the right place for this questions but I'm in the market to buy my first RV and the R-Pod suits my needs. One of the questions I keep asking myself is where am I going to use it and how often.

I know that vacations, the lake and local trips to some of our state parks are on the horizon but thought I'd ask here from some of the veterans as to their R-Pod usage habits.

My fear is having it sit in the driveway and getting buyers remorse because I don't use it that much. What are your favorite places to go and why?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 4:44pm

Though I retired two years ago, my usage, thus far, has been about the same as when I was working. I spend about 6 weeks per year camping...spread over multiple trips. My opinion, when asked, has been that if one does not use the camper at least 4 weeks per year, it's not worth the expense/effort.

My favorite places to camp are at State and National Parks.

My question to you would be; have you done much camping and enjoyed it? If not, you may want to try the "traditional/common" route which is - start with a tent. If you like that, then move up to something towable.

It is good that you are thinking. These things are not inexpensive propositions. You have to buy them, buy/have something to tow them with, insurance, license plates, poor fuel economy, maintenance, accessories, etc.

You do all of this because:
1. You really love to camp, or
2. You are insane
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 5:10pm
To add to David's comments, you do it because this is a big and beautiful country, the park systems are outstanding and other people that do it share your passion!

Some of our favorite places we have been with our pod:

Driveway, NJ.
Sister's back yard, Md.
Sister-in-law's back yard, Ma.
Friend's in Florida back yard, Fl.
Friend's in Monteray horse pasture, Ca.
Assateague Island National Seashore, Md.
Elk Neck State Park, Md.
Gettysburg (Cunningham Falls State Park), Md.
Leonard Harrison State Park, Pa.
Ricketts Glen State Park, Pa.
Tuckahoe State Park, Md.
Kickapoo State Recreation Area, Il.
Rockport State Park, Ut.
Donner Memorial State Park, Ca.
Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park, Ca.
Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, Ca.
Beverly Beach State Park, Or.
Cougar Rock - Mt. Rainier National Park, Wa.
Kalaloch Campground - Olympic National Park, Wa.
Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park, Mt.
Custer State Park, SD.
Rock Creek Park, SD.
Summit Lake State Park, In.
Driveway
This Forum!

I may have missed one or two, but that's most of our favorites.

The why? You just have to go and find out for yourself. It will make perfect sense once you get there!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 5:19pm
To date we have camped in Florida State Parks exclusively for a couple of reasons:

1.  The cost is very reasonable, especially with the 50% Senior discount to which I am more than entitled!

2.  The facilities are universally good to excellent.  Power / water and sometimes sewer at each site.  Clean bath houses.

3.  Spacious sites, for the most part, with good spacing between neighbors.

As for frequency, 5 or 6 trips per year for 3 or 4 nights apiece.  Now, this may seem like light usage to most owners, but our situation is somewhat unique in that my wife and I are responsible for the operation of the rental desk for a good sized condo complex, and we can only "escape" for brief periods.  Podding is the perfect way for us and the pups to decompress.  Once the Pod is in place and the 'Dome is up, it's instant chill out!
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 5:31pm
Emphatically agree with 'David'.

It's like the old saying about buying big boats, "If you have to ask 'How much does it cost?', you can't afford it."

If you have to ask whether or not it's a good decision, you are not ready. Do tent camping until you think you've had enough of roughing it. Then get a trailer if you think you will like it. I still get my lean-to out at times, but I like camping.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

Emphatically agree with 'David'.

It's like the old saying about buying big boats, "If you have to ask 'How much does it cost?', you can't afford it."

If you have to ask whether or not it's a good decision, you are not ready. Do tent camping until you think you've had enough of roughing it. Then get a trailer if you think you will like it. I still get my lean-to out at times, but I like camping.

LOL, we have the Pod, an Airstream 34, and soon a Lance 2285..

BUT.. today we got a Cabela's flyer in the mail, and they have the Alaskan Guide tents on sale.. both of us looking at them..
p40whk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 6:19pm
Affording it is no problem but the "If you have to ask whether or not it's a good decision, you are not ready." statement I don't agree with, I ask that question of myself whenever I make a purchase. 

I have tent camped for quite a long time and only recently had experience in an RV. My friends don't camp much anymore and every other year we take a three week trip out west to the national parks to hike. Last year we rented a house outside of Yellowstone and the Teton's and I hated the drive just to get inside the parks.

Two years ago we hauled a 28 foot toy hauler from Cincinnati out to Glacier National Park, spent a week inside the park in the campgrounds then went to Yellowstone for 3 days, then to Mount Rushmore and the Badlands. This trip was just short of a disaster for me because we had 4 friends in this cramped toy hauler that was horribly equipped and we had never spent any time like this together.

What I liked the most about the Toy Hauler trip was being right where I wanted to be and, even though we weren't prepared for our personality conflicts, each of us enjoyed the camping aspect of it. Me enough to know eventually, when I retire, I plan to spend a ton of time in an RV. It wasn't the Toy Haulers fault that we had issues, it was our lack of experience and personality issues so I don't see that as a deterrent to purchase an RV for just me and my companion.

I'm 55 now and probably have 7 more years before I can retire but I don't want to wait. with my limited experience, I'm just trying to find out how most people use their RVs so that I know what other options are available to me. I wasted way too much money when I was young making impulse buys only to regret it later. I'm a bit anal about researching every aspect of things (I'm a Jet Engine Technical Writer and A&P Mechanic) so I enjoy the research of buying something like this as much as the actual purchase. 
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 6:38pm
First off, if you are anti-social and don't like people, do not buy an r-pod.  They are attention getters anywhere you travel, camp, and even at the gas station.

I lived five days a week in a 20' standard type camper trailer, months at a time for years, my work dictated that I had to. I hated it.  It was a plastic stapled together piece of junk. After that I hated all camper trailers, I said I'd never get one.  I bought a Hallmark pop-up pickup camper that fit the bill.  I still have it, rarely use it (it's the perfect Black Hills turkey hunting rig for the muddy back roads). 

Then one day I pulled up at a stop light behind an r-pod, and was fascinated by it. 

We found a dealer one road trip to Boise, he had three pods on the lot that spring day.  The three other couples at the dealership besides us were all looking at the rpods.  They were all sold before we could look at the second one, but we were definitely hooked.

Later on that year we bought one in Post Falls, Id, and just love it.  Love pulling it.  Love the design and the slide out gives so much more space.  No problems with it at all.  We use the rpod a couple weeks a year total, and feel it is a good solid investment even with that little use.  We'll be using it for overflow sleeping when more people come to visit than we have beds.  The grandkids demand to sleep there even with a spare bed.

And they are good "driveway candy" if you aren't out in it.  Much better than a pink flamingo or two in the yard.

Great at music festivals too.  Once you get one you'll be trying to think of places to go and reasons to use it.

But, we were sure that we wanted one.  Trust your gut feeling if you are not sure.   Happy travels either way.
p40whk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 6:57pm
All good input Love the back yards and didn't even consider that. May have to pack a pink Flamingo when I travel now.

codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 7:07pm
You better not dwell on that super deal very long!! Wow
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>