R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHot water heater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot water heater
    Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 7:50pm
New to podding and don't understand how to make sure hot water heater is on electric when plugged in at camp ground and how to switch to gas when dry camping. Thanks for your help.
Dawg Lady
2016 R-180 "Lizzy"
Georgia
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 7:57pm
Well.. to use electric, you plug into shore power and turn on the switch in the WH compartment, outside.

To run on gas, you push the water heater switch inside the pod, after turning on the gas at the tank.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by DawgLady

New to podding and don't understand how to make sure hot water heater is on electric when plugged in at camp ground and how to switch to gas when dry camping. Thanks for your help.

FIRST: MAKE SURE THE WH IS FULL. You will damage it if you run it on electricity without water.

Second: Verify the bypass valves are in the summer position. The middle valve handle should be perpendicular to the pipe; the other two should be parallel to the pipes.

Third: Turn on the small black electric switch at the bottom left of the outside WH compartment. You may have to remove a small cotter pin in the switch handle.

Forth: At this time the WH will heat if the RPOD is plugged in. It is automatic when you're connected to shore power.

Fifth: Make sure the propane lines are free of air by running the stove top 10-20 seconds. If you want to run on propane simply turn on the gas WH switch inside the RPOD. The red light will come on momentarily and go out and you should be able to hear the gas burner. It will run on propane until you turn off the wall switch. For faster heating when you're connected to shore power you can run both gas and electric sides.

If you leave both propane and electric on at a CG the electric side will maintain temperature without using propane. It all becomes automatic at that time.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 6:15am
Can't stress enough to make sure that tank is full before throwing that electric switch.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
DawgLady View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 8:12am
Thanks bunches!
Dawg Lady
2016 R-180 "Lizzy"
Georgia
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 10:38am
We got our Rpod last July and have been in it a total of about 12 nights. Until this year, post de-winterization I tried to get hot water with the electric but it didn't appear to be operating. I thought perhaps I'd 'blow-out' the heating element in error and ordered a replacement. When the replacement came I checked the resistance of it and the one in the heater and they were the same. Also checked and there was power both at the AC switch and the element terminals.

So, I tried it again and the heater works. But it takes much much longer to heat than propane. About an hour or more I'd guess.

So the lesson I learned is that the AC power takes a long time. If you need hot water quickly or in any volume use the propane option. Otherwise once on shore power be patient and you can rely on the AC to keep a reasonable amount of water hot on demand.
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 11:25am
What do you mean when you say you thought you'd "blow out" the element? 
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Don Halas

So, I tried it again and the heater works. But it takes much much longer to heat than propane. About an hour or more I'd guess.

So the lesson I learned is that the AC power takes a long time. If you need hot water quickly or in any volume use the propane option. Otherwise once on shore power be patient and you can rely on the AC to keep a reasonable amount of water hot on demand.

I take some exception to this claim. My measurements indicate the gas side is about 50% faster, but from 77F water the recovery times are 23 and 35 minutes for gas or electric respectively and 14 minutes for the combination. The Suburban spec sheet shows full recovery of 10.7/6 gallons per hour, but that's from very cold water as I discussed.

http://rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3601&KW=recovery&PID=34220&title=water-heater-recovery#34220
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 3:17pm
Blow out meaning firing the AC up without water in the tank.

Well I live in CT and not likely that my hose water or anything stored in the tanks was 77F when I tried this two weeks ago.

And this is just an observation, not meant to be considered fact.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Don Halas

Blow out meaning firing the AC up without water in the tank.

Well I live in CT and not likely that my hose water or anything stored in the tanks was 77F when I tried this two weeks ago.

And this is just an observation, not meant to be considered fact.

Well I confess I didn't consider CT in mid April. My main point was the gas system is only 50% more effective than the electric side. We use both simultaneously if we need hot from a "cold" start, but otherwise the electric element works fine. That said, even the dual systems won't help the long shower problem Disapprove . Still going to get cold.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>