R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed200 W solar mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 200 W solar mod
    Posted: 28 May 2016 at 10:13pm
I posted pictures on my original removable single100 watt roof mounted solar panel, at “Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks - List Your Mods - Posted: 02 Aug 2015 (Page 39)”. But on 8 Apr 2016 johnmaci posted “Topic: Home depot Sale: 100-Watt Solar Panel $100”. I had been thinking about a second panel and this motivated me to get one. I checked at Amazon because a lot times they have the same item at the same price. I ordered another a Grape Solar “GS-Star-100W”, 100 watt panel for $100. I had to also order a 15 amp Bussmann panel mount circuit breaker, my original one was 10 amps, 2 Branch Connectors Solar MC4 Y Connectors and 2 more IRWIN Tools QUICK-GRIP Handi-Clamp, 2-Inch. I added an aluminum angle to attach the vertical C channels because I had to rotate the panels 90 from how I mounted the single panel. When I travel I carry one in the bathroom and the other one goes into a neoprene bag on the bed. I have installed foam strips to the frame of the panel so it won’t damage the roof or edge molding.

2 Camco Party Light Holders super glued together to so I could attach the cam from a “Parent Units 2 Pack Topple Stop Furniture Strap"

Branch Connectors Solar MC4 Y Connectors

JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 9:03am
Just thinking about solar panels.  From the photos, it looks like you are in some shade.  Will the panels still work in dappled shade like that?
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 9:07am
Very nice installation.
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 9:09am
Originally posted by john in idaho

Just thinking about solar panels.  From the photos, it looks like you are in some shade.  Will the panels still work in dappled shade like that?

Even a small amount of shade, dirt and debris on the panels, will have a significant negative effect on the amperage.  The panels might produce enough power to keep fully charged batteries topped up but they won't produce enough to recharge batteries.
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 9:15am
Will the panels still work in dappled shade like that?

They do not do very well in the shade. I set the panels up late in the afternoon after arriving. If I had left them on the ground I could have moved them into to sun. I wanted to get pictures to post of them mounted on the trailer. Later that night it rained and was overcast the whole weekend, I was surprised the panel put 1/2 - 1 amp with the cloud cover. If they were in full sun it would be more like 8 -9 amps
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 3:31pm
Check this out for the effect of shade on solar panel output.  Remember, that voltage is not the consideration when charging the batteries, amperage is determining factor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzzB1i1w_kM
http://www.solarchoice.net.au/blog/partial-shading-is-bad-for-solar-panels-power-systems/
While shade can drastically reduce a panel's output, some panels work better in shade than others.  Better (more expensive) panels are wired with bypass diodes so when part of the panel is not producing power, the power produced by the rest of the panel is delivered to the controller.  When this is the case, the panel's production is greatly reduced, but not completely lost.  Panels equipped with bypass diodes can work in partially shady conditions but we are talking about shade that covers a very small part of the panel and even then, it depends on which part of the panel is shaded.  If only a tiny portion of each string of cells is covered, the bypass diodes are of no use.
By the way, the folks at altE are very helpful and their prices are very good
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 3:54pm
When the picture was taken, with the shade on the panels, I was getting no output. The next day when it would stop raining and the cloud cover was not as thick, enough light was getting thru the clouds to charge the battery's at around 13.6-13.8 volts and when I checked with my amp meter I got between .5 to 1 amp. The voltage from the panel has to be high enough to force current back into the battery so voltage has to be taken into account.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by sailor323

Originally posted by john in idaho

Even a small amount of shade, dirt and debris on the panels, will have a significant negative effect on the amperage.  The panels might produce enough power to keep fully charged batteries topped up but they won't produce enough to recharge batteries.

That's why I'm not a big fan of mounted solar panels on an RV, at least for us.  We typically use our Pod in the summer, and we have a big preference for shaded campsites, but this does not work well at all with solar panels.  I put my single 100 watt Renogy panel on a 15 ft. cord so I can move it around to the brightest spot.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 4:54pm
"That's why I'm not a big fan of mounted solar panels on an RV, at least for us."

I installed my panels with clamps so when need I can remove them and place them on the ground and point them toward the sun. The cable is about 12' long so I can move it to any side. The big advantage of clamping them to the roof is I hope they are a little harder to keep from walking away

JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by JandL

When the picture was taken, with the shade on the panels, I was getting no output. The next day when it would stop raining and the cloud cover was not as thick, enough light was getting thru the clouds to charge the battery's at around 13.6-18.8 volts and when I checked with my amp meter I got between .5 to 1 amp. The voltage from the panel has to be high enough to force current back into the battery so voltage has to be taken into account.

True enough, but remember, volts X amps = watts.  1/2 amp at 18.8 volts is 9.4 watts, a tiny fraction of the output that a 100 watt panel should produce.  The controller is what adjusts the current and voltage delivered to the battery.  A one amp current is probably enough to keep fully charged batteries topped up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>