Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThinking about selling new Rdome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking about selling new Rdome
    Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 12:31pm
We are considering selling our new 179 Rdome.
After trying it out for a few hours in our driveway, just to see what its like, I don't think it will work out for our traveling and camping style. I think a visor may be much more suitable.

To bad a conventional awning is not available as an option from Forest River. If there was one available I would be the first one in line to have it installed.

The Rdome is definitely more suitable for long term set ups. Maybe more than 3 -days.

I have read all that I can find regarding shelters and keep coming back to the fact, that after 40 plus years in a tent we moved up to the Rpod for ease of camping, and we could have went to a much bigger and fancier camper but wanted to keep it simple as possible, and the Rdome just does not fill that requirement for us.

I have also learned there is not a one fit item that does it all, that will attach to the Rpod, and if one of us figures that problem out and markets it, he very well may strike it rich.

Thanks for allowing me to vent a bit of frustration here. And I welcome any and all comments.
Have a Great Day
Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 1:07pm
R-dome use is of course optional, based on site layout, weather, length of stay etc... We get around the "not putting up a tent anymore" thoughts by knowing we don't HAVE to put it up.. it's optional. We can pull into a site, level, hookup, unhook, and be done, if we so choose.

The fact is, NOTHING else is as versatile as the dome. So you can pick and choose what you need and or want from an "awning", but most end up with more then one option. Heck we now carry a dome and a CLAM. Couldn't give me a visor. Really. I have turned a free, brand new one down before. Direct from Pahaque.

As far as "set the dome up once and don't like it".. those statements and "it's so hard to put up" type statements often make me wonder what else a person might have tried once.. didn't get perfect, and gave up on.. Lots of important and fun stuff in my life I didn't do well at first.

But that's just me. I can, after a few times of doing it, put the dome up, by myself, in only a few minutes. My wife usually takes the dogs for a walk, comes back, dome is up. It has made a huge difference a few times when we had a bout of bad weather that ran for more then a few hours..

As a side note, "a conventional awning" can be adapted pretty easy to the 179 and 180. A few owners have done it. It won't properly protect the door I don't think, but it will give shade. Scuttlebutt is that the next generation Pods will have one as an option. At least the longer squarer pods may anyways.
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by furpod

R-dome use is of course optional, based on site layout, weather, length of stay etc... We get around the "not putting up a tent anymore" thoughts by knowing we don't HAVE to put it up.. it's optional. We can pull into a site, level, hookup, unhook, and be done, if we so choose.The fact is, NOTHING else is as versatile as the dome. So you can pick and choose what you need and or want from an "awning", but most end up with more then one option. Heck we now carry a dome and a CLAM. Couldn't give me a visor. Really. I have turned a free, brand new one down before. Direct from Pahaque. As far as "set the dome up once and don't like it".. those statements and "it's so hard to put up" type statements often make me wonder what else a person might have tried once.. didn't get perfect, and gave up on.. Lots of important and fun stuff in my life I didn't do well at first.But that's just me. I can, after a few times of doing it, put the dome up, by myself, in only a few minutes. My wife usually takes the dogs for a walk, comes back, dome is up. It has made a huge difference a few times when we had a bout of bad weather that ran for more then a few hours..As a side note, "a conventional awning" can be adapted pretty easy to the 179 and 180. A few owners have done it. It won't properly protect the door I don't think, but it will give shade. Scuttlebutt is that the next generation Pods will have one as an option. At least the longer squarer pods may anyways.

Thanks Furpod for the reply.
You have definitely given me food for thought......
That said, just to say it, I am no rookie to setting up tents of just about any size and style. I have 4 - seasoned camped in 2 man - 6 man tents in the middle of some remote places for a few weeks at a time. I have swept 6" snow off our tent roof while my baby daughter, still in diapers, and a wife in a full leg cast played inside.
I was hoping to find a one thing that does it all......and maybe that is the Rdome?????
So in the mean while, I will be in deep thought regarding the matter.
Thanks Again
Have a Great Day.

Dave & Joyce
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 6:34am

The way I see it.....do what makes you happy. We buy these things to enjoy the experience. Some like the dome, others don't. Some folks like sugar in their tea, others don't.....go figure. If you do decide to sell it, list it in the "Flea Market" section (below) and someone will want it.

One thing I don't see mentioned is an EZ-up canopy. They go up pretty quick, with 2 persons.

I have a "traditional awning" and prefer it. However, while it provides quick, easy, self-storing shade, rain protection is minimal. Rain blows in and water runs into the "dry" area...so it still gets wet underneath the awning. This was true even with a 16' awning on my old 5th wheel. I suspect it would be the same with a canopy.

The awning works best (for me) but, it ain't perfect. Good luck!
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by David

The way I see it.....do what makes you happy. We buy these things to enjoy the experience. Some like the dome, others don't. Some folks like sugar in their tea, others don't.....go figure. If you do decide to sell it, list it in the "Flea Market" section (below) and someone will want it.

One thing I don't see mentioned is an EZ-up canopy. They go up pretty quick, with 2 persons.

I have a "traditional awning" and prefer it. However, while it provides quick, easy, self-storing shade, rain protection is minimal. Rain blows in and water runs into the "dry" area...so it still gets wet underneath the awning. This was true even with a 16' awning on my old 5th wheel. I suspect it would be the same with a canopy.

The awning works best (for me) but, it ain't perfect. Good luck!

I think you pretty much have described it all.

Thanks
Dave & Joyce
julieboyles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 3:55pm
I'm looking for a used Rdome. If someone has one for sale (and shipping won't kill me--I'm in Portland, Oregon), let me know.

Julie
StauchwallBend View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 3:03pm
Julie, you might check out the awning/tent models that PahaqueCustom.com has available online.  These are engineered to fit specifically onto the Keder rail on the RP.
StauchwallBend
Marco T View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 5:59pm
The R-dome gets a lot easier to set up if you file down the sharp edges on the track and use a little silicon spray.  We put ours up on our recent trip when we had space and it was pretty painless.
The Tri-podders
2011 Dodge Durango Citadel - 5.7L Hemi
2015 R-pod 176T
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 8:29pm
I ended up buying an Rpod visor in addition to the r-dome.  I often travel alone and the visor is easier to put up.  If there is a lot of rain coming, I use the r-dome.  I can put up the dome alone but it takes some time.
Pam Frech View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2016 at 10:42am
We completely agree about the dome.

We have a brand new r-pod 179 and would LOVE an awning.

While doing research, my husband stumbled upon an awning on an "R-pod Woodie"
google rpod woodie

They have an awning by fiamma that looked very nice.
Pamandtom
 Post Reply Post Reply