R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwinterizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: winterizing
    Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 5:08pm
We are definitely going to San Diego from December through the middle of January Which means the pod will have to be winterized. Any thoughts about pink stuff vs. blowing the water out with pressure. Pressure sounds easier but is is as good as the pink stuff.
Thanks 
Tom
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 5:35pm
Yes, if done properly both methods can be effective. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
tomfrech View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 6:26pm
Thanks a lot. Seems like pressure would be easier to dewinterize
Tom
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 8:26pm
As long as you use the winterization valve and house And don't put the pink stuff in the fresh water tank, the de-winterization process isn't much different. You would need to run fresh water through the pipes until the water runs clear. I would assume the hot water bypass would be set either way, but it is more important if pink stuff is used as it will corrode the anode rod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 9:04pm
My usual reply on this:  if you must pick one, use the antifreeze.  I've been through debates for days that it isn't necessary.  More than once someone has admitted a year or two later that they only used air and a fixture froze.  It takes less time to just use the antifeeze than to debate for days that it isn't needed.

The only exceptions are if the pod is stored in CA or FL where it doesn't freeze.

See the link in my signature for a checklist.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 10:04pm
My toilet valve froze last winter.  I didn't discover it for a while. There was just a tiny crack in the valve that sprayed a fine mist on out the back, which eventually trickled down into the shower basis. 

I do the antifreeze but apparently I wasn't diligent enough.  This the kind of thing that is much more likely to happen if you blow out the lines, in my opinion, anyway.

The repair to the toilet was surprisingly easy -- after removing the toilet, and only cost about $25 for a part on Amazon.  Still, $3 worth of pink stuff would have saved a lot of effort.

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 6:43am
Originally posted by techntrek

My usual reply on this:  if you must pick one, use the antifreeze.  I've been through debates for days that it isn't necessary.  More than once someone has admitted a year or two later that they only used air and a fixture froze.  It takes less time to just use the antifeeze than to debate for days that it isn't needed.

The only exceptions are if the pod is stored in CA or FL where it doesn't freeze.

See the link in my signature for a checklist.

I couldn't agree more.  I no longer get into the discussion of hich method is best to use anymore.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 7:03am
Tom, north of 49 here. I do both air first then pink rv anti-freeze. It doesn't take a lot of time. When it gets down to -40c for a week at a time. That's why I do both. For the few extra minutes it takes to do both, I figure its worth it.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 7:37am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

My toilet valve froze last winter.  I didn't discover it for a while. There was just a tiny crack in the valve that sprayed a fine mist on out the back, which eventually trickled down into the shower basis.  I do the antifreeze but apparently I wasn't diligent enough.  This the kind of thing that is much more likely to happen if you blow out the lines, in my opinion, anyway.The repair to the toilet was surprisingly easy -- after removing the toilet, and only cost about $25 for a part on Amazon.  Still, $3 worth of pink stuff would have saved a lot of effort. TT

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago and (at the time) chalked the breakage up to normal wear and tear. I do both - blow out the lines and put in the pink stuff. However, I do not hold the flush valve open when using the air so, it is possible that the anti-freeze was diluted some. We had an especially cold winter that year, also. I've taken to running the toilet "extra" long with the pink.

Agree that the fix is stupid simple, once the part is in hand. 30 mins. tops.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 12:34pm
My 2 cents.  Did the antifreeze the first year in 2011.  Took a lot of time to rid tank, lines of that nasty taste as we use our FW for drinking.  Since then we have used compressed air, takes about 2 - 3 minutes to do the whole thing.  No problems to date.  Still will use about 1 pint of the pink stuff to put into the 3 traps (2 sinks, and 1 shower).
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>