R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpark when connecting to home outlet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spark when connecting to home outlet
    Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 12:55pm
Hello,
     Newbie here, recently winterized our new(late August) 179, did not get enough trips in but loved it and hoping for an early spring. I have not yet gotten organized enough to handle battery storage so following a few posts here I plan to plug it into 110v outlet in garage regularly to maintain battery. I have limited garage space but am working on getting it inside and on a maintainer for the winter. My question is, should I be concerned when I see a spark as I plug it into the garage outlet? I start by connecting 30A cable to Pod, then to extension cord, then to adapter to wall outlet. I always get a spark, or crackle. No issues with wiring, has been checked, just initial spark when making final connection. I don't have this issue when camping as I make connections before flipping switch "on" at power post. I don't have a switch on outlet at home, would require trip into house to flip switch on electrical panel. Just wondering if this is a concern. Would it help if I switch off the main breaker in the pod when I am connected?

Thanks for any wisdom.
Dan
2017 RPod 179
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 1:13pm
Very little wisdom here, but absolutely no problem with a little sparking when you connect shore power. It indicates something in the Pod is drawing some current. The probable cause is the converter charging your battery, although the converter will have a small initial surge while it charges up its own internal capacitors (engineer speak for it's OK). The Pod also has a small continuous current draw from the propane monitor and thermostat that will draw current from the shore power source. Flipping off the main breaker in the Pod should stop the spark but it's not necessary. You should check that the water heater is turned off, either by the little rocker switch inside the WH service panel or the 15A breaker in the power panel. Turning off the WH switch mounted on the Pod interior wall is not sufficient. Leaving the main breaker off will inhibit battery charging. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 1:35pm
Wouldn't hurt a thing to shut off the main (30A) breaker in the pod when plugging in/unplugging. Then turn it back on once connection is made.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by furpod

Wouldn't hurt a thing to shut off the main (30A) breaker in the pod when plugging in/unplugging. Then turn it back on once connection is made.

That really just transfers the spark to the breaker. I suspect the plug would tolerate more connections and disconnections than a breaker will. Breakers are not designed to be switched often.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by TheBum

That really just transfers the spark to the breaker. I suspect the plug would tolerate more connections and disconnections than a breaker will. Breakers are not designed to be switched often.

Do you not shut off the breaker at the pedestal every time you hook up at a campsite?
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 1:51pm

Do you not shut off the breaker at the pedestal every time you hook up at a campsite?

I don't do that but I do turn off the WH to save the timed relay contacts in my SurgeGuard.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 2:23pm
I noticed the same thing when I plugged into 110v with dogbone adapter and my Progressive Industries surge protector, so I contacted Progressive to ask them and they told me to ALWAYS flip the breaker at the house panel when making electrical connections or it could void my surge protector warranty if I don't. 

Luckily, the outlet I use is right next to my breaker panel, but I'd say it's worth the time even if it's a distance.

FYI, I have since installed a 30amp outlet next to my breaker panel and it was well worth the $40 in parts. It's a pretty easy job, just google for YouTube diy videos. It's easier because now it's on a dedicated breaker and I'm not shutting off other things in my garage every time I flip the switch.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by GLBCamper

I noticed the same thing when I plugged into 110v with dogbone adapter and my Progressive Industries surge protector, so I contacted Progressive to ask them and they told me to ALWAYS flip the breaker at the house panel when making electrical connections or it could void my surge protector warranty if I don't. 

I detect the BS flag waving...............and/or a well paid lawyer.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
dr2428 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 7:41pm

Originally posted by TheBum

I do shut off the breaker at the pedestal every time I hook up at a campsite, my issue is at home where I don't have convenient access to the breaker serving my garage outlet. Doesn't look like much of an issue given the posts here? I may just suffer the trip to and from the panel to be safe. I'll be putting in a 30A connection outside my garage this spring which will have a breaker like in the campgrounds.

Looks like the question sparked a good discussion, this is what I appreciate most about this forum. I always get a lot out of this forum, best forum I've been on for any topic, campers, smokers, computers, etc.

Thanks everybody.
2017 RPod 179
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 8:38pm
I learned from my military days in the 70s, hook power up with everything off and then apply power. To me it is as simple as you don't turn your blender on in the kitchen, then plug it in. It will spark. I do it by process, I do have the campground CB off until I'm ready to start the power up process, no sparks to date.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>