R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedaxle and frame questions 2016 182G

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: axle and frame questions 2016 182G
    Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 1:04pm
I know this must be in other posts, but for the life of me and the forum's poor search functionality, I can't find anything about it...

I clipped a gas station bollard pulling out from the pump. Only damage appeared to be a bent fender. Annoying but not critical.

1,000 miles later, the driver's side wheel hub failed. 300 miles after that repair (I was on a road trip), the passenger side wheel failed, too. Had it repaired. Now up to about $800 in repairs and I can see that the tires are wearing badly on the inside tread. Passenger side wheel failed a second time, 70 miles from home. Had the 2016 R-Pod 182G towed back to dealer for repairs (thank you, AAA!).

Now I'm being told that the axle and both wheels (and tires, of course) will have to be replaced and that the frame is bent. This is all being attributed by the dealer to the fender bender. Looking at what I can find on the topics, FR is notorious for putting axles on the R-Pod that are not up to the job (it was about a 2,500 mile road trip in the Western U.S.) and for poor frame welds resulting in bent and broken frames. The dealer service manager is saying the TT may be considered totaled because of the bent frame.

This is not computing for me. Has anybody had problems like this, and how the heck did you handle them, and what was the outcome? Thanks!
2016 R-Pod 182G
2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD w/tow pkg
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 2:03pm
Wish i could help. I do have a 2015 182g and have had no issues with axles or tires.  I do know the pods are lightweight frame and axles and that bender may have done a lot more than you thought.  Did you buy it new or used?  It may be totaled in the insurance world, but i would replace the axle and tires and wheels and make sure all is aligned as good as possible and camp in that thing.  I put axle risers on mine and there is plenty of room to align that axle should the frame be off a bit.  That was a concern in doing that riser is how to get the thing in line.  I guess i did ok, because it tows straight and true.  The axles are light as i found out when i had it removed.  I can definitely see how a bollard could wreak havoc on a pod.  But, as long as the frame is sound and not subject to a failure, fix it and go on.  2 cents you know.  Sorry to hear of your troubles, these things are supposed to bring only good times.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
MontanaRed View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 2:47pm
Thanks for your reply. We bought it new. 

Still ticked about the "damage" because I couldn't have been moving at anything faster than walking pace. I was angry with myself when it happened, and the hassles over the repairs haven't helped. Also, we drove some atrocious roads (by my standards) in California. These were freeways, interstates, and city arteries. Wondered at the time what the potholes and uneven pavement might do to the pod's suspension.
2016 R-Pod 182G
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 2:51pm
Must have caught it just right sounds like and pushed the axle back.  Is the frame damage visible, i mean easy to see?  or is it indicated by measuring or some other method?  Oh, and give this post a while, you will get some good feedback on this from the forum.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 2:53pm
Not sure. I'm waiting on a call from the insurance estimator for more details. I would really like to know if the frame problems are at the welds, because that would sure rate as suspicious in my book. I have a list of questions for him and would welcome any you think I should ask.
2016 R-Pod 182G
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 3:16pm
i would think the tire would blow if it broke welds loose.  but, i would want to know that too.  I guess for one, i would ask if this is possible from a little bump?  I'm sure you have seen your pod bounce around when you hit bumps in the road.  That doesn't hurt them, it seem odd that this did.  I would have expected it to just skid sideways a bit from the bollard, not tear all this up.  And, i don't see how the an axle impact can damage the frame. The frame is boxed steel with that light axle bolted to it.  the axle should have bent or broke before frame damage.  I am really curious to see what the adjuster says.  please share if you dont mind. 
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 3:17pm
Thanks for some useful points. I will let you know what I learn.
2016 R-Pod 182G
 Post Reply Post Reply