R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed179 front storage containers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 179 front storage containers
    Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 11:28am
Great ideas! Tote boxes are one of my favorites things in life. I'll add too, consider using stuff sacks in addition to boxes. In my (now retired) cargo van that I drove for almost 300K miles I used both in under-bed storage and it worked great. My relatives went on a 2-year road trip in their RV that went so well it turned into 6 years. They used tote boxes and a couple of large stuff sacks that I made for them. Theirs and my stuff sacks were different colors for different uses and allow you to, um, stuff flexible items into smaller spaces and/or in or around totes. Some of my uses were separate sacks for tools, jumper cables, misc vehicle parts and laundry. We're still figuring out storage totes & sacks for our 179 so I haven't made any yet. 

If you don't sew you can buy stuff sacks. If you think you might sew them, get good nylon packcloth (at least 430 denier), #14 needle, heavy duty thread. Use a longer stitch and stitch more slowly. You can stick a piece of duct tape on them and write the contents with a sharpie if you don't use a color code method that you have memorized. Also, consider keeping the stuff sacks from folding chairs you no longer have - the stuff sacks last longer than most of the chairs that come in them, and are completely reusable. I have my Roll-A-Table in a folding chair stuff sack from the 1990s and it shows no signs of wearing out. And ... in the "two uses & a backup" department, you can use them as throw-bags if you're trying to throw a tarp-line over your Pod for example Smile 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
Whoababe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:10pm
Thanks StephenH and Leo B! You won't regret adding the drawers StephenH! Wink
Josh + Jen • Whoa Babe Mods Blog
→ 2015 Chevy Silverado
→ 2016 {new to us} 179
Johncmarshjr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 7:34am
I have enlarged my lower storage in the 179 by moving the walls. 
ALICE
backin15 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 4:59pm
One thing I liked better about the Winnie Drop, was they eliminated the cave under the bed and made the front storage area much larger. The also ducted the furnace to blow out into the living area which makes a lot of sense. I may have to give this a try...
2015 179
2013 Xterra Pro 4X
RoyToy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 6:36pm
Do you bring a ladder to install the Rdome with? If so where do you store it? I can fit our four foot ladder in the front storage bin but it takes up a fair amount of that space. I like your storage totes and will see if I can get any to fit.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12