R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery replacement decision 6v or 12v?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery replacement decision 6v or 12v?
    Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 9:10am
I chose to run two 6 volts and have been very pleased with the results I've gotten 5 days out of them on my  longest boondocking  trip and they we only drawn down not quite a 3rd  at that was with the heater kicking on a few times a night. There are a couple good YouTube vids to check out as well about this debate.  
Keep your stick on the ice
2016 178HRE
2011 Silverado 1500
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 11:25am
I will reiterate, that the decision is not between 6V and 12V batteries, but the energy value of the batteries versus the cost of the batteries. I've been trying (apparently unsuccessfully) to say this, but maybe I'm saying it too obtusely.

If you're looking at a 225AH 6V battery, the energy value of ONE of those batteries is 1350 watt-hours. You will need two of them to make a 12V system, so in the end you will have 2700 watt-hours.

If you're looking at a 85AH 12V battery, the energy value of ONE of those batteries is 1020 watt-hours. Using two of them still only gets you 2040 watt-hours.

So clearly, if EACH of the batteries costs about the same, two 6V battery is the better option compared to two 12V batteries of those sizes.

But it's not because 6V is better. It's because the batteries you're comparing are not even close to the same energy value.

Another option would be to look at 2V batteries. Of course, it would take 6 of them to make 12V, but heavy duty 2V batteries would be smaller and lighter than high capacity 6V or 12V batteries. 

In this case, six 500AH 2V batteries would get you 1000 watt-hours for EACH battery. Putting together a string of 6 would yield 6000 watt-hours. That, and each battery would be a lot smaller and lighter.

So once again, it's not 2V versus 6V versus 12V. It's the watt-hours of the battery per dollar that counts. In the end, it's really more about how much lead is in the battery, and you can (mostly) tell that just by weighing them. The more it weighs, the more energy value the battery will have.

So in the end a 55 lb battery is going to be less energy dense than a 70 lb battery. It's not because it's 2V, or 6V, or 12V. It's because of the energy value of the battery.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
sunflashx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 4:52pm
The best explanation of what the real deal is with batteries I've found is here:
https://marinehowto.com/what-is-a-deep-cycle-battery/

Complete with dissected batteries.

Too long, didn't read version:
Get two GC2 golf cart batteries.

2013 R-Pod 177 Hood River
2006 Acura MDX Tow Vehicle
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 7:31pm
FWIW my Costco had on display both battery options on Friday when we shopped there.  I am not in the market now but when I am it is good to know both types are available there.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12