R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPulling small trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pulling small trailer
    Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 2:23pm
Check out the HitchRider trike carrier: http://www.hitchrider.com/hrt1-2t.htm. Something like that may serve your needs. 
Your question caught my eye because I want to put my 1UP bike rack on my RP171. The rack is 2", so I'm going to try a 1-1/4" to 2" adapter. I'm hoping it won't overstress the pod's hitch since it withstood a whole lot of severe bouncing with the spare on it during our last trip. 
I'll probably "stress-test" it by standing on it (200+ lbs), maybe bounce a bit. If it doesn't hold up, I think I'll ask someone to make a "bumper" with a 2" receiver similar to this

Follow-up addendum:
I tried putting my bike rack on the trailer using the adapter. I put my weight on it, and 'bounced' a little. Lots of torque on the hitch(noticeable deflection), but no damage I could see. The adapter puts the rack another 6-8 in behind the trailer and the bikes will obstruct the lights somewhat(just like on my vehicle). Also, I need to relocate the spare tire.
I shouldn't need to say that I'm only describing what I expect will work for me.
R-Pod 171
'17 Toyota 4Runner Off-road
Our R-Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12