R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer Coupler Lock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Coupler Lock
    Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 9:54am
The demonstration by Proven needs to be taken with a small grain of salt. If I were trying to remove that lock, I would attack the weakest point: The aluminum puck lock.

It's open at the bottom to allow insertion of the key. So if you could get a large crow bar in from underneath, it might not take a huge amount of force to pry off the puck from the bottom.

I still think it's the best coupler lock though.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:06am
Lets face it. If you really want the camper, why waste time playing around with the ball latch at all. Simply grabbing it by the chains will work just as well. There is no way to stop them from the tongue. even removing the tires wont work if they bring a set with them. See they have all the time they need to figure out how to steal, what we try to make unstealable in ten minutes. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:07am
I'd probably get one of the Proven locks if I kept my Pod at a storage facility for months at a time, but, and this is just me, it seems like overkill in terms of my fear level for anywhere I've ever camped.  I will usually lock my trailer somehow.  I have one of those cheap Reese locks, and whether I'm worried about the Pod or not, I will usually lock my generator to the Pod by running a cable through the gen handles and the Pod frame or one of the wheels.

There are times when I'll spend ~$200 on a whim for something like this, or I'll come up with an acceptable rationalization to do so.  It does look like the best; but I'm not ready to buy one yet.  I could change my mind any time....

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:15am
Problem is, it's not a level playing field. The crooks can get several thousand, to maybe as much as 40 or 50 thousand hawking a camper, depending what it is. Are you prepared to spend that much to protect it? Not if you have any common sense. I think the only system that might work, is something like the old lo-jack system, that continuously emits a gps signal so you can track it down. This will work of course until the fist few crooks get caught, and then they use a jamming device.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:20am
I can imagine people stealing cargo trailers, especially when full of cargo, and maybe high end travel trailers, but and R-Pod??  What's the point?  They are not valuable enough money to make it worth the bother.  Since trailers have to be registered with current license plates and such, and stolen ones are presumably a little hard to register, what are you going to do with it once you steal it?  It's not as though you can take it to a chop shop and sell it for parts.  

Is the frequency of R-Pod thefts so high that this is really a problem or is it a solution in search of a problem?  Do they steal more R-Pods in certain regions of the country?  Where? 

Just curious...............
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:41am
Well, I learned a long time ago that many thieves are not rational.  So given a choice of stealing a $60,000 camper or a $15,000 camper right next to it just as easily, there is no guarantee they'll go for the big bucks. Of course, they probably do have their reasons.  Anyway, my attitude is that there is probably no amount of security that will prevent a determined thief, and a little security that will slow them down or make them think twice is probably enough 80% of the time.  Paredo principle.  Same reason I don't buy lottery tickets.  A $200 lock might prevent the theft of my Pod.  If I spent $200 on lottery tickets I might win $650 million.  For now I'll keep my $200.

I thought of another scenario where I might go with the the Proven locks though.  If I left my camper unattended at a truck stop all day, especially day after day. 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 11:48am
+1 to TARS. If I were to leave my Pod for an extended period, I would spend the money for high end lock, I'm more concerned about a break-in than a total theft. Granted thieves aren't rational but there is little salvage value to a Pod. Not like a vehicle or a goods trailer. Interestingly even with vehicles, component theft is high, like tailgates and wheel sets. I keep the Pod insured, and if it does get stolen, I'll have the down-payment on a NO BO 19.5:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 12:16pm
That's what I was kind of thinking, the bigger risk is someone breaking in and stealing anything that they think they can fence.  Of course, in areas where oxycodone and crystal meth cloud the thinking of the thieves, one would expect more irrational theft, but I've never heard of a huge problem with Pod thefts.  But then I should probably take the foam ear plugs out of my ears, but there's a lot of other stuff I also don't want to hear.

We lock our pod up with a padlock in the hitch ball lock safety pin hole and leave it at that.  Since it is in our back yard when parked there is little chance of someone scaling the fence to open the gate to back a truck in to hook up our Pod and steal it.  The neighbors would probably notice.  

And if someone breaks into our Pod, they'd be really disappointed.  There's no micro, no TV or other electronics, really nothing much of value.  The worst part would be repairing the break in damage.  

And while we're on the road, well, that's what State Farm is for.  As Mike suggests, it would just be a nice down payment on a new trailer.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 12:52pm
You know what would make it really difficult to steal a Pod?  If you lowered all four of the stabilzers and had a way to lock them down.  I haven't looked into it, but I'm imagining 4 keyed-alike padlocks positioned so as to make access with bolt cutters difficult.  Not totally foolproof but surely enough added time and difficulty to dissuade almost any thief.  Locking the tongue jack would be an added bonus.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by henryv

Do you have that lock Leo? Anybody else?
We do. It gives me peace of mind. It locks the chains up inside of it. Nothing is completely theft proof. I want to make any other target look easier to snatch.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>