R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Route
    Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 2:12pm
Stay off of I 10 in Calif. Too much traffic. Stay east of the Sierras. Too much traffic.  395 is a good road to pull a trailer on.  Or any of the North - South thru Nevada.  Do not pass a gas station if you are going thru central Nevada  .  Beautiful scenery and hardly any traffic.  Probably be a wind from the north this time of year.
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 2:18pm
Thanks john in idaho, that’s the type of info I am looking for.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 3:32pm
I hope I didn't create the impression that Nevada has "speed traps."  It doesn't.  The speed limits in the rural towns are not unreasonably low and the enforcement is not because the local jurisdictions are trying to use speeding tickets as a revenue source.  The strict enforcement is for safety.  For example, U.S. 50 between Fallon and Carson City is one of the most dangerous stretches of highway in the state.  Car v. wild horse collisions are common.  We had a double fatality near our home in Dayton due to excessive speed just about a month ago.  It is common for people to out drive the illumination of their headlights at night so when a horse suddenly is in front of them, it's through the windshield before they even can get their foot on the brake, much less slow down.  

Nevada is filled with wonderful things to see and a drive through this stark and magnificent countryside is worth the time.  But as John suggests, it's a good idea to not pass gas stations when your out in the middle of nowhere.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 4:23pm
I used to drive to Hawthorne Naval Ammunition Depot from Reno about once every other month via US-95. Directions were to "turn south onto US-95 from I-80, and floor it." This was back around 1976/77, and we would be doing around 100 along the way. There was one tiny little community of sorts; IIRC, one house, and a railroad crossing. We would slow down for the railroad tracks as much as anything. Otherwise, there was nothing, and I mean nothing between I-80 and the depot. You knew you were getting close when you came around Walker Lake.

I think some settlement has happened in the last 45 years or so.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12