R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeight distributing hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight distributing hitch
    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 1:11pm
Tires inflated correctly?
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 1:55pm
If the fresh water tank is aft of the axle, it might be a good idea to buy several of those Reliance 6 gallon plastic water jugs, and fill those and place them in your pickup bed forward of the rear axle. When you get to your campsite, fill the r-pod fresh tank from those. If you are not able to lift them easily when full, you can buy a small pump to do the job.

(closed circuit for off-grid: this is not an alternative to a wdh, just stating a possible method of helping to reduce trailer sway.)
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

I didnt confuse anything. I was completely accurate in what I said. I "don't" know about the hitch, and I stated that. YOU don't KNOW either. I correctly told him that he should use the setup that is nearest to the weight of the camper he will be towing. You said the same thing, in a different way. I guess they sell all different weight Wdh systems cause it doesn't matter. I guess they should confer with you.

I never intended to suggest you had confused any of the ratings. Babysaph had said that his bars (not the hitch) were rated at 10000 lbs. That can’t be correct. Just trying to clarify the differences between the 3 ratings.

I do disagree that a 1000 lb rated wdh (if that’s what this one is) is too much for an rpod. Mine is rated at 1200 lbs and it works just fine. The bar tension is set to bring the weight on the front axle back to where it was without the trailer. This can easily be 1000 lbs if the hitch weight is 500-600 lbs (pretty common) and there is 400 lbs of gear in the rear of the tow vehicle. I would set it up properly and see. If the ride is too stiff then get some lower rated bars which will be more compliant. Otherwise it will be fine. Mine rides very well with the 1200lb rated hitch.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

If the fresh water tank is aft of the axle, it might be a good idea to buy several of those Reliance 6 gallon plastic water jugs, and fill those and place them in your pickup bed forward of the rear axle. When you get to your campsite, fill the r-pod fresh tank from those. If you are not able to lift them easily when full, you can buy a small pump to do the job.
(closed circuit for off-grid: this is not an alternative to a wdh, just stating a possible method of helping to reduce trailer sway.)

+1. If there is sway it’s really a good idea to actually weight the trailer and hitch. The hitch to trailer weight ratio should be at least 10-11% if not more. Readjust load to be sure, especially for the return trip when water weight tends to move aft in most rPods.Sway is nothing to door around with.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Babysaph View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 5:59pm
I had trouble hooking the chains up. Could only use the top link. The bars hung low, what am I doing wrong.
Dr. J.R. Chambers II
Babysaph View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 5:59pm
Can I add sway bars to what I already have?
Dr. J.R. Chambers II
Babysaph View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 6:04pm
Ok guys it says it is a 10,000 pound capacity wdh . I swear it does. Guess in means tongue weight of 100 lbs
Dr. J.R. Chambers II
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 6:27pm
Greetings:

I purchased the EAZ LIFT Recurve R3 With 600 lb bars.  It came with a 2 5/16 ball installed and I bought the 2 inch ball for my R-179.  I tow with a F-150.  It works perfectly.  I bought it from Amazon and it was delivered win 3 days, free shipping.  
The WDH is rated for 8000 lbs.  If I ever purchase a larger TT, I might have to change the bars.  I installed it myself.  You do need some larger tools and sockets and should be familiar with handling heavy parts.   Hope this helps.

Crankster78  R-179
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Babysaph

I had trouble hooking the chains up. Could only use the top link. The bars hung low, what am I doing wrong.

There should be a way to rotate the hitch upwards and towards the truck, that will rotate the bars up as well so you can shorten the chains a bit. The manual should explain it. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Babysaph

Ok guys it says it is a 10,000 pound capacity wdh . I swear it does. Guess in means tongue weight of 100 lbs

The 10,000 lbs would be the gross trailer weight (GTW) capacity. Probably the tongue weight capacity is 1000 lbs, and the bars should be good for about 1000 lbs each to handle bump loads without bending. 

Once you get the chains shortened a bit (you don't want too few links either) then set it up so that it brings the front axle back to where it was before you attached the trailer. Do this on a dead flat surface. Load the trailer ready for travel. 

You can use some blue painters tape on the front wheel wells to have a good place to measure to. Measure from the ground to the tape on both sides, connect the trailer, and then tighten the chains until you get the front axle back down close to where it was. A little more or less is OK, you won't get it perfect. 

Also try to get the trailer as level as possible when its hooked up, that will make it easier to stop overnight or for a few hours without unhitching. There should be different hitch mounting holes you can use to adjust the ball height up or down for that. 

Once you have everything set up take it for a drive and see if the ride is to your liking or too stiff. 

Re adding anti sway, some wdh's have that capability built in, some you have to add it separately. What brand and model wdh did you get? 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>