R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinter hauling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter hauling?
    Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 9:24am
I don't plan on sleeping in the Pod during the trip.  My Pod windows are not duo-pane. If the temps are well below freezing, I know that I would end up with many pounds of ice on the inside of the windows and anywhere else where interior humidity could come in contact with unheated compartments.  Look around your own Pod and see all of the storage spaces and empty volumes where it is just about impossible to get furnace heated air to circulate.  I once owned a 'converted' van which had an LP furnace.  The interior space was toasty even at below freezing.  But after a very cold weekend trip and and then warmer outside temps...I had large puddles under each window and a soaked carpet.
TIDALWAVE
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 9:36am
GOOD GRIEF! Sounds as if you had a TIDAL WAVELOL
THANK YOU for the information. Sure not worth taking a chance just for some Winter camping. Need to get some more experience in the Pod before tackling something like that.
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 9:40am
Window condensation has been a big problem for us in cooler temps.  The 'pod is insulated so well that with 4 of us - 400 watts of body heat - we can't run the furnace even with the vent open all the way and several windows open for circulation (but covered with blackout blinds so there is little air flow).  Below the mid-40's we'll use the furnace or an electric heater if we have hookups.

I have considered making insulated covers that would attach on the outside at night but I'm worried about keeping them secure in high winds, which we get a lot of during our trips to the beach.  I have also thought about adding a computer biscuit fan to force some circulation (the vent fan has too much current draw when dry camping).  But I don't want to cut another hole somewhere.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 9:54am
We have been out several times in weather below freezing.  Biggest problem is the condensation that builds up.  We keep the Bathroom fan on low and also crack a window to get air moving inside the camper.  We do not fill the Fresh Water Tank but carry cooking and drinking water with us if the camp does not have fresh water.  The heater that comes with the camper does a great job keeping up even when temps were about 5 degrees and we had 2 foot of snow. (That time we had to come back for the camper as we could not get it out.) I do try to get at least a electric hook up during the winter but some camps are totally shut down.

Towing the camper on snow and ice is even more fun as the camper WILL slide around.  Take it slow and you will be ok and look ahead or plan ahead before taking the camper with you.  Are there big hills and curves you have travel that are still covered in snow? Is the camp ground going to be plowed so you can get in and is the camp site going to be plowed or able to get in.

We did more winter camper than we did camping this summer due to work schedules and looks like I will be doing a lot between December and Early March.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12