R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

BLACK TANK TUBE HANGER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TEDDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BLACK TANK TUBE HANGER
    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:00am
An elegant solution, TCJ - but it looks like you have additional strap support to the gray and black tank..... my 178 black discharge tube has only the strap at the end of the tube at the frame and, of course, I have  separate black and gray tubes.  The gray tank tube has not been a problem - it's a stout strap and doesn't seem to flex.  Your solution looks like the description StephenH gave using a 1/8" alluminum strap, only your rubber belt strip would certainly support the tube end.

Still leaning toward the aluminum strap, pipe clamps and a rubber sleeve under the pipe clamp.
Teddy
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:49am
We installed a clevis hanger and left the original strap in place. We used a smaller hanger for the gray water drain tube.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TEDDY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote TEDDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 12:18pm
Tks, GlueGuy - is the clevis hanger two U shapes that would allow the end of the tube to bounce up and down, with the upper limit being the bolt holding the U ends together?  Or does that bolt sit right on top of the tube?  I guess the assembly could move up and down on the vertical bolt holding the top U to the strap.
Teddy
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 10:33am
I would be cautious about using 6061 alum to make a hanger. Although it's pliable. it doesn't like to be bent anywhere near 90 degrees. 5052 is aluminum meant for bending to extreme angles, commonly called sheet metal. Many use muffler clamps, and they seem to work well. I made mine from parts available at the hardware store. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 10:51am
Originally posted by TEDDY

Tks, GlueGuy - is the clevis hanger two U shapes that would allow the end of the tube to bounce up and down, with the upper limit being the bolt holding the U ends together?  Or does that bolt sit right on top of the tube?  I guess the assembly could move up and down on the vertical bolt holding the top U to the strap.
I doubt there is much to make the sewer pipe to go up. The clevis hanger is pretty stout material, and it makes a good cradle for the pipe to hang in. The bolt going through the top of the clevis can be tightened down somewhat, but in the end, it just makes the sewer pipe steady. 

I don't know how many miles we have on it at this point, but I check it periodically, and nothing is moving.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TEDDY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote TEDDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 11:17am
Thanks for the info on 6061 aluminum - there is a welding shop around here I can probably get to start with a 12" x 1-1/2" x 1/8" stainless steel strap and make the bends for me.  I can cut it to length as needed and drill the two holes that would  be needed to match the two already in the frame.

Thanks to all for your excellent suggestions - there is no end to the creativity of the R-Podders!
Teddy
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 5:03pm
This seems to be an ongoing problem with the rpods....surprised FR hasn't done something to beef up  the hanger.  I put a new hanger on (OEM) today on the blackwater and added a rubber strap as back up plus it acts as a shock absorber.  I had fixed the old bracket before but we took it on 2 trips and when I checked it everything was loose and failure would have been soon.  

mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 5:43pm
Not only forest river has this issue. Winnebago has it for sure. I think they all use the same crappy parts 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 10:13pm
Yes. I was told it was "industry standard." If it is industry standard, then that standard is flawed and needs to be changed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
rpod190 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpod190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 12:41am
I have a 2019 rpod190 and on our maiden voyage the black tank strap broke. The pipe can hold 5 gals of waste easily and that's over 40 lbs. The strap holding the tank is the leftover from the metal stud to the frame. The manufacturer carried it down to hold the tank tube. The bouncing over 1000 miles caused it to fail and the gate value broke off from dragging on the ground and damaged the grey tank gate valve when we were in the middle of nowhere. I called the 800# and it was a waste of time. Found a coat hanger to tie it up for the trip, but could not use the toilet or grey tanks. I added my own strap as you have done and NEVER travel without a small roll of #18 fence wire for emergency repairs. If you can avoid using he toilet while traveling, that water wont build up in the 4 ft 3" pipe and put force on the factory strap. Definitely add your own!!!
Wynnster
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>