This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New Podder - advice on canopy/awning?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Podder - advice on canopy/awning?
    Posted: 01 May 2021 at 10:00am
What ever awning you select, don't leave it unattended.  Wind, dogs, kids, bad luck just happens.
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Sifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 12:23pm
We are another clam fan couple. The panels that can be purchased serve to block the breeze, sun, rain, on whichever side(s) you want to hang them - or not - lots of options. And better suited for a variety of camping locations, or if you just want to pick it up and move it for convenience.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
Wilds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wilds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 2:30pm
I'm interested in the type of bike rack you have on the back. How is it mounted? What did you do with the spare tire?
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 6:28pm
I assume you are talking to Pod People since we were the only pod in this thread that showed a bike mount.
I will start by saying that mounting a bike rack on the rear is generally a very bad idea.  The rack with bikes will have a lot more weight than a spare tire.  Plus, that weight has to be cantilevered further off of the back of the frame creating lots of bounce.  This constant bouncing and additional weight create frame stress and  axle stress.

There are many stories of broken welds and crashed bikes.

Having said that, we went to a lot of trouble and expense to mount our bikes on the back so that they are safe and rock solid. I paid a welder several hundred dollars plus material costs to add a 2x2 cross frame member welded at the rear to the original frame.  The cross member is triangulated with the hitch and has additional metal triangle gussets for stabilizers.  The frame cross member is welded with angle iron to the receiver. all of that is just for the under structure.

We use  the shortest 2" shank possible so that the bike handlebar will clear the back of the pod. We mount the shank into the receiver with a hitch tightener and a threaded hitch pin which stops all receiver/shank movement.

We use 2 ratchet straps- one on each side. They attach from the lower rear frame channel to an eyebolt at the top of the bike rack.  These straps form a triangle from the top of the rack to the bottom of each frame member. We tighten the ratchets as tight as possible and that stops any bike rack movement.

I have followed my wife when she was driving our rig and there is no motion in the bikes.
But we spent a lot of $$$ to get it that way.  I feel safe, but I would not feel safe with anything less.  I have tried a lot and this works.
Make your own decision-all pods, bikes and racks are different.
Travel Safe
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 9:12pm
I just realized that I didn't answer your original question about the spare tire--
we used the original rear mounting bracket and the welder cut the bottom off and welded it to the A Frame.  We had to move the gas tank forward in order to make room.
Safe Travels
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
2BOverlanding View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2BOverlanding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 8:44pm
Im new to RPods can some one post a picture of a clam shell so i know what they are?

Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Sifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 9:38am
2BOverlanding:
https://quicksetshelters.com/
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 9:40am
Also -- check out Moon shades.  The attaching points are quite novel and varied.  Even so, could easily turn into a big kite......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12