R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Surge protector suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surge protector suggestions
    Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 5:27pm
The Hughes Watchdog EPO model has one feature most other protectors don't have: overcurrent protection. Most of the time you can rely on the 30A breaker at the pedestal to trip, but if you're forced to use the 50A breaker and a dogbone, the overcurrent protection will save you from damage should the wiring between the pedestal and the Pod's 30A main breaker fail, i.e. you won't potentially be pumping 50A through a connector and wiring only designed for 30A.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 7:37am
+1 to the above. Note that to protect the cord between the pedestal and the trailer from overcurrent, the power monitor has to remain portable and be connected between the dog bone and the cord.

While this power monitor is much better than nothing when using a 50A dog bone, I would still advise avoiding the use of the 50A receptacle as much as possible. The power monitor does not replace a properly sized circuit breaker, which is designed to clear large fault currents. The monitor is designed to limit the load current to 30 amps by opening an internal relay.

So if you do get a serious short in the cord the relay might not be able to open it. And, the 50A breaker back at the RV park service might or might not open in time to protect the 30A rated cord.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Mooree

I had an electrician wire a 30 amp RV outlet but he wired it 240V instead of 120V. Fried my microwave and my converter. Wasn't going to have that happen again so I purchased this Hughes RV surge protector. Plugged it in (after the outlet was changed to 120V) and instantly got an error code. The neutral was reversed. Switched the hot and neutral and was good to go. 

Past time to switch electricians!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Brennen Thomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brennen Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 10:05pm
This is my favorite Progressive Industries arrester model as it provides an excellent energy management system for RVs.
It can almost all kinds of electrical problems, such as. g. ground faults, and interrupt the power supply in six seconds. I appreciate that this RV EMS lightning rod restarts after a power surge because it keeps my AC unit running even while I'm asleep. The best thing about this RV-30A lightning rod model is its compact and robust construction and its very easy installation.
Brennen Thomas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12