R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Water leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Water leak
    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by richardd

Help! I found a water leak on the floor of my 2016 R-pod 171. I was hooked up to a house hose. I've never used the fill tank but I took the drain plug cap off and a lot of water came out. Turned the water back on and that worked. Maybe the previous owner had left water in the tank. So I left the plug cap off and overnight it's still dripping slowly. Is that normal? Or is the shoreline hookup leaking somehow into the tank? I don't where to look for a possible leak.
Multiple possibilities, but it is likely that the water in the tank comes through the check valve in the pump. Sometimes, a bit of something gets stuck in it and it allows water from the city water connection to flow into the tank. Now, a slow drip could be that the bottom of the tank is flattening out as the water pressure is no longer pushing it down. It can drip for quite a while.

Now, water inside is a different issue. Check the tightness of all the drain connections. I had a problem there when we first got ours and found that the kitchen sink drain had not been properly tightened. Then check the connections for all faucets and the toilets. Unless something mechanically punctured one of the water lines (like an errant staple), they should not leak. You are using a pressure limiter I hope. If not, you should be. Pressure should not exceed about 50 PSI.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 5:28pm
I filled the tank. When I flipped the water pump switch, a quick sound, then nothing. I looked at the water pump, it's dry. I've never used it, it's like new. Noticed it said use 10AMP fuse on top of water pump. I couldn't find a fuse other than in the panel, and none are blown there. ??
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 5:36pm
Did you use a voltmeter or similar to double check that the fuse for the pump is ok; that you have continuity?  Also have you found the source of the leak from your original post?  If the fuse is ok then you may have a loose wire going from the pump, check your 2 wire nut connections.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 5:46pm
I don't know how to use a voltmeter. Do you know which fuse is for the pump? I suspect the source of the leak, which was only a drop every couple seconds from inside the tank with the cap off, could be as I was told in previous posts. the water pump valve sticking. So I'm trying to do what was suggested to clear it up. But the pump won't run.
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 6:21pm
I checked the connections, the switch, and the only 10v fuse in the box and all look good.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 6:44pm
If a fuse was bad or not connected into the spade connectors properly a red light would be on next to the faulty fuse.  If lines are pressurized the pump will turn off, so when you turned the pump on and it went off soon thereafter, did you have a line or two open?  Open both the H and C while turning the pump on - will it turn on then?  One time I took a screwdriver when another podder had this issue, and using the handle of the screwdriver gave a few good raps on the housing of the pump and it turned on.  Simple fix - that individual had never used the pump, always camped where they could plug into a water supply.  Maybe you will encounter the same?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 8:47pm
I watched a Youtube video and realized it is an "on demand" system. I was thinking something was wrong, but the pump only comes on when water is turned on. After I use all the water in the fresh water tank, I will see if I still have a leak from the tank. I did find the screw on cap has a crack. I'll replace it. Thanks for all the help and making this a great site.
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SC for Huskers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 8:58pm
Hey guy, glad you found out about how to get the pump turned on.  Just for giggles, i wouldnt drink that tank water without boiling it.  I use city water and bottle water to drink.
Good Luck

Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 9:27pm
Good advice. I only consume bottled water. Thanks again
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 5:48pm
This is a good video about the water pump...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL_3kz7y2zM

I did what it says and it seemed to work. My filter was upside down, the place for the allen key was a little tricky, but turning it 1/4 turn counter clockwise seemed to cure it's hiccups. Also, I put in a water regulator (with guage) and a water cut off. I used what was in the tank and drained the little that was left. Tomorrow I'll see if it still leaks from the tank. Now I plan to replace the Anode rod.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>