R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Furnace fan won't turn on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furnace fan won't turn on
    Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 3:01pm
If the furnace doesn't start after 3 cycles it will lockout until reset. There are several reasons that it might not start. Lack of propane is one. Before it locks out the fan will cycle on each time it tries to start, which you would most likely notice unless you were away from the trailer.

So it wasn't a likely reason but I thought I'd suggest it anyway because once the furnace was reset it would make it appear as if you had an intermittent problem.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mikeyg2347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 6:45pm
The fan never cycled on when I threw the thermostat switch. The only time I tried to use the heater was first thing in the morning to knock the chill off. I'd turn it on and get nothing. The manual says it will lock out if there is moisture in the gas line. Since I was running an almost empty bottle from last year that's why I was wondering if that might have been the source of the problem. But, if I understand you correctly, the fan would have come on before it locked out. 
Mike
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 3:04am
Yah, I don't think there is a special moisture in the gas line sensor that puts the furnace in lockout.

If you read the sequence of operation in the service manual the events that trigger lockout are

sail switch doesnt engage (indicating that the fan didn't come on)

flame sensor doesn't heat up after 3 ignition attempts (indicating ignition failure)

overtemp limit is sensed.

So moisture in the gas line would result in an ignition failure and be sensed that way. But the furnace doesn't attempt ignition until after the sail switch closes indicating that the fan is already operating.

The other condition that will keep the control board from ever trying to run the fan and start the furnace is if the battery voltage is very low, so that is one other possibility to keep in mind.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mikeyg2347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 7:16am
The battery was fully charged. I'm pretty obsessive about that and always have my solar panels set up when I have the trailer parked.  At this point it appears I'll just have to wait until the fan fails to engage again and take it from there. Thanks for all the input. Good info to have.
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12